6.4 extended crank losing rail pressure after filter change

TjMiller

Reaction score
Looking for some help here guys... Just did a normal fuel filter change on my truck and after completed I went to start it and it starts after an extended crank then only runs for about 5 seconds until it starts losing rail pressure and quits. Key on have between 30 and 55 FRP and cranking it takes a couple seconds to build up to 4-5k FRP then it will start and run for about 5 seconds then drops FRP.

I tried a new set of filters and same result. I pulled top filter and turned key on we have fuel flow.

Truck has Spartan tuner 210 El never had problem with that.

Take note that when I last did filters - on the lower one I put the filter in the housing then screwed cap on (didn't clip filter in the cap before sliding in)
I figured it would clip in when tightened don't think it did maybe went in too far? Anyway ran fine for 12k miles.

BKopp

Reaction score
Maybe a small crack in cover allowing a small amount of air in?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

BKopp

Reaction score
Not at the filter. Only lift pump pressure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TjMiller

Reaction score
Was able to do some research and found this is a common problem after a filter change when the key is not cycled properly. I did the key cycle deal (10 times for 30 sec a piece) twice and it stayed running. Seems to be good now

TjMiller

Reaction score
did you have both fuel filters out at the same time?

Had them both out, same as I always do. This time I cheated on the initial start up and only cycled the key 3 or 4 times and didn't let the pump time out each time. Didn't think it was that critical but I guess it is.

ghohouston

Reaction score
i always do the lower first, it seems to let less air into the fuel system in my experiences. and i also have a small air chuck, one of the ones like 2" long, that i attached a hose to, and put it on the schrader valve, so it bleeds the air out within the first few key ons.

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
definitely do one at a time... you can pick your poison as far as upper or lower, but one filter at a time, key on a bunch of times, run it for a couple minutes, then the next filter.

like Colt 45

sootie

Reaction score
probably air in the system.

turn the key on and poke the little air valve on the fuel cooler. see if bubbles come out. if they do, repeat that procedure until you get straight fuel. it should run then.

Latest posts

Members online