6.4 thermostat stuck split radiator at seam

Sky's 250

Reaction score
My 08 6.4 started leaking a minute amount of coolant. Took it in to my dealer and the thermostat froze causing the radiator to split at the seam. I've read that this is a common problem, however, I have not been able to get any help from ford. Is there anything I can do or Ilam I just gonna be out over 1800?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Atsah

Reaction score
Within 5 years or 100,000 miles whichever comes first is all they had so I would guess you are on your own..

In my opinion, Ford dropped the ball with this problem, they should have recalled "ALL" of these trucks and fixed them period, but like the many issues with the previous 6.0 trucks they would rather screw everyone that bought them than take a beating fixing them..

Last edited:

Bigboytoys

Reaction score
I really doubt a stuck stat would cause a rad to split, ever....

Popped head gasket, yes, rad failing and they just "happen" to find one the stat's stuck, yes, cause if your trucks emissions intact they would have to pull the vert cooler to get the stat out and no one just does that for fun.

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
Within 5 years or 100,000 miles whichever comes first is all they had so I would guess you are on your own..

In my opinion, Ford dropped the ball with this problem, they should have recalled "ALL" of these trucks and fixed them period, but like the many issues with the previous 6.0 trucks they would rather screw everyone that bought them than take a beating fixing them..

I've owned five 6.4's and have never had a radiator failure. My buddy's company had a ton of them in service in N. Dakota, and radiator failures were pretty uncommon.

YMMV

Atsah

Reaction score
Ya it go either way.. My brothers boss bought seven of them in 08 for his construction outfit and five out of the seven needed radiators..

Bigboytoys

Reaction score
Ya I said that wrong as you are right the Stat can be changed cooler in place, a shop would probably pull the cooler for the added labor charge.

Bigboytoys

Reaction score
There are 4? bolts that hold the shroud and the power steering reservoir in place and 1 for the 4wd vacuum switch. Pull up on the steering reservoir and push it farther back and towards the driverside then pull the shroud out.

There is a coolant drain drivers side, drain 4-5 gallons.

Then you'll have to pull the upper rad hose and then find the stat housing.

There are 4 small bolts that mount the stat housing, undo them but don't break them, replace the stats and they go in only 1 way. The housing goes back on with only 10 ft/lb's so again, don't break the bolts.

Reassemble and you'll have to burp the air out which will take a while, start and stop the engine a few times, few more full heat cycles, pump the hoses and it will still take a while.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/JE/jeep10000/2013-06-15_020119_imageswlinks.gif

webb06

Reaction score
Do you have a link to a write up on this? I have to do this myself...

Sent from my V10 using Tapacrap

There's a YouTube video by diesel tech Ron I think. It's a tight working area and you have to get the spacer/bracket in the right position for it to come out.

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
FWIW, I believe there is merit to the claim of thermostats and radiator issues.

The only person local to me that I know of who has gone through a few radiators in somewhat short time-frame had me look over his truck for him.

His thermostats were stuck open and had he had the corresponding performance code and CEL. I asked him about it, and he said the code/light had been on for ever. :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Members online