6.4 White smoke and lots of blowby

Fly By Night

Reaction score
A buddys 6.4 has been smoking on and off the last month. Cold starts always seem to be fine, but after sitting warm for 10+ minutes it will start and blow a white cloud of smoke at start up. When driving around it seems a little doggy off the line but overall runs normally, if you hammer it will either smoke black or a little bit grey. While driving around it will randomly smoke white, either driving or at idle. There is a code for #8 injector contribution or something along those lines, I don't recall exactly. It was backed in to a lake to pull a boat and started smoking bad so he backed the exhaust in the water and it quickly had a rainbow slick from all of the oil making its way into the water.

I am thinking the #8 injector is starting to go out, but
At idle I pulled the oil fill cap off of it and there was so much blowby it shoots a vapor stream clear up to the hood.

I have been told if a 6.4 burns a hole in a piston there is a miss and they are down on power, this truck has neither but I have no other way to explain the blowby, what can I check?

webb06

Reaction score
^what jd said. Pull the glowplug harness and glowplug. Leave key off and use the starter wire next to intake to spin the engine.

Jbenso127

Reaction score
I had 2 cracked pistons but not really any excessive smoke... And there was a pretty significant change in the tone of the engine and a slight knock/tick from time to time...

I was thinking a washed cylinder (blowby) and turbos starting to chit the bed (explains the white smoke after its warmed up) from being emissions equipped for that many miles... But I could be way out in left field... Just an idea, because I have had the same scenario happen to me, so don't flame me lol.

sctreeguy

Reaction score
I was pushing coolant out the degas bottle on sustained uphill pulls only and had what I now think was excessive blowby.truck is fully deleted updated hoses and thermostats and mishimoto radiator.even tried 3 new caps.no smoke at all no noises never ran hot ran perfect except pushing coolant.pulled the heads to do studs and gaskets SURPRISE cracked piston.I really think I got lucky and caught it before it grenaded the engine.

groove

Reaction score
Yup, my rig was similar, no driving issues for the most part, lots of power but crazy blow by. Did a 800km drive and lost 7 litres of oil and started smoking bad. #2 piston is toast.
Good time for upgrades now :)

Latest posts

Members online