6.7 2011/2012MY Software Update version 3.0

weidmanj

Reaction score
6.7 updated tune testing

So far i have tested the updated 200 and 165 tunes. The shifting strategy is really different and noticeable. I

Couple notes not sure if these are helpful - please note i am on 37 13.5 22's with 3:55 so my experiences may be very different than everyone else.

1.) Smoke is down significantly, that is great! I did notice that there is a slight delay when taking off from a stop where the power from the pedal is delayed and spread out. I'm sure this is by design- but out of curiosity can this be reduced at all? iv found it will jolt you a little when slowing down for a turn and getting back on the throttle - as there is a delay that you are not expecting for a few moments.

2.) shifting patters are completely different, I'm sure in a good way but haven't been able to test up north in the mountains. I did have the slamming issue and rough shifts and slamming with the old tune - I did notice significant improvement over the old tunes - but the shifts are still a little jerky / feels like its lunging. I do believe this is because my gearing / tire size combo

3.) the 200hp tune seems to have something skip / miss in 3rd or 4th i have to drive it more to pattern it but it was pretty consistent. At wot its fine but on slow acceleration you feel a rough spot - will keep you posted and identify exactly where it is.

Overall I'm excited to take the truck up north and test as i get sever bucking / jolting at altitude. I believe that it is the passenger side valves sticking at this point as i have replaced the turbo already. Thanks again for this update, I'm excited to dial the truck in and find what combination works best.

out of curiosity will the custom tune you sent me a while back work with the new shifting patterns etc or do you need to send me another one with the later lock up? I didn't ****** if of the unit and it still showed up. It was definitely smooth after i had that file and would like to soften the shifts a little bit like the previous file.

Thanks again for all the help you guys are great!

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score
So far i have tested the updated 200 and 165 tunes. The shifting strategy is really different and noticeable. I

Couple notes not sure if these are helpful - please note i am on 37 13.5 22's with 3:55 so my experiences may be very different than everyone else.

1.) Smoke is down significantly, that is great! I did notice that there is a slight delay when taking off from a stop where the power from the pedal is delayed and spread out. I'm sure this is by design- but out of curiosity can this be reduced at all? iv found it will jolt you a little when slowing down for a turn and getting back on the throttle - as there is a delay that you are not expecting for a few moments.

2.) shifting patters are completely different, I'm sure in a good way but haven't been able to test up north in the mountains. I did have the slamming issue and rough shifts and slamming with the old tune - I did notice significant improvement over the old tunes - but the shifts are still a little jerky / feels like its lunging. I do believe this is because my gearing / tire size combo

3.) the 200hp tune seems to have something skip / miss in 3rd or 4th i have to drive it more to pattern it but it was pretty consistent. At wot its fine but on slow acceleration you feel a rough spot - will keep you posted and identify exactly where it is.

Overall I'm excited to take the truck up north and test as i get sever bucking / jolting at altitude. I believe that it is the passenger side valves sticking at this point as i have replaced the turbo already. Thanks again for this update, I'm excited to dial the truck in and find what combination works best.

out of curiosity will the custom tune you sent me a while back work with the new shifting patterns etc or do you need to send me another one with the later lock up? I didn't ****** if of the unit and it still showed up. It was definitely smooth after i had that file and would like to soften the shifts a little bit like the previous file.

Thanks again for all the help you guys are great!

Just out of curiosity, are you running the "enhanced trans" version of these files or the standard files? The ET files will shift firmer and more aggressively because the converter is locking earlier. The standard files should shift slightly firmer than stock at partial throttle and firm up nicely at WOT.

weidmanj

Reaction score
Running the regular version non enhanced. It's much better than the default tunes last version, but still not as smooth as the later lockup file I had received a few months ago. truth be told I'm really never at WOT unless I'm simply testing the tunes, which is why i prefer a more stock smooth shifting feel. Am i able to run this tune and will it use the updated transmission strategy etc or does the tune need re created?

an update that blip in the tune is in 3rd gear happens every time before shifting into 4th. I have it recorded. Nothing major, but its there if you look for it. happens on 200 and 165 tune.

SpartanDieselTech

Reaction score
Running the regular version non enhanced. It's much better than the default tunes last version, but still not as smooth as the later lockup file I had received a few months ago. truth be told I'm really never at WOT unless I'm simply testing the tunes, which is why i prefer a more stock smooth shifting feel. Am i able to run this tune and will it use the updated transmission strategy etc or does the tune need re created?

an update that blip in the tune is in 3rd gear happens every time before shifting into 4th. I have it recorded. Nothing major, but its there if you look for it. happens on 200 and 165 tune.

You would be safe to install the later lockup file, if the file is in ENC format (filename ends in .enc). It will, however, still be based off of the old strategy.

weidmanj

Reaction score
Yeah it ends it .enc. definitely need to try the new strategy though. This truck in elevation going up hill runs like crap. Its a ford issue and i know my gearing doesn't help. But need to see if the new strategy makes it drivable.

do you know if it will be possible to get new strategy with the later lockup like the old tunes?

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score
Yeah it ends it .enc. definitely need to try the new strategy though. This truck in elevation going up hill runs like crap. Its a ford issue and i know my gearing doesn't help. But need to see if the new strategy makes it drivable.

do you know if it will be possible to get new strategy with the later lockup like the old tunes?

Custom files are an option. We have a thread in our vendor forum regarding custom files.

Just out of curiosity because I noticed you said the truck was lifted and on 37" tires, do you have a good set of traction bars? All of the testing we did for the new trans tuning was done on stock height or leveled trucks without bars and the shifting has never seemed overly firm to us. Obviously firmer than stock, especially on the 165 and 200 tunes, but nothing overbearing. It's highly possible that if you don't have a traction block setup and you're just running tall lift blocks, it could be enhancing the firmness in the shifts.

Fatbottom350

Reaction score
After running the 165 tune since I got my tuner, I got the V3updates and went to the standard 165 Tune. I wouldn't say the shift were firm, but more delayed like it hung in the gears for a while before shifting. I drove around for 50 miles and it got slightly better with more driving time. Overall I like the tune.

This evening I loaded the 120 ET tune and drove around for a while and WOW! I am very impressed with it. Shifts like a dream at all throttle positions.

SpartanDieselTech

Reaction score
After running the 165 tune since I got my tuner, I got the V3updates and went to the standard 165 Tune. I wouldn't say the shift were firm, but more delayed like it hung in the gears for a while before shifting. I drove around for 50 miles and it got slightly better with more driving time. Overall I like the tune.

This evening I loaded the 120 ET tune and drove around for a while and WOW! I am very impressed with it. Shifts like a dream at all throttle positions.

The non-enhanced tunes do have a slightly delayed shift compared to the old files (as in, shifts at a higher mph). We did this due to the significant number of guys running larger than stock tires, who can benefit from a delayed shift to prevent bogging.

The scheduling is adaptive based on speed ratios, so it will adapt a bit just like the shift pressures. Glad to hear you are liking it as a whole.

bad1989mustang

Reaction score
Guys I'm kind of new to this so I hope I don't ask a stupid question but, Did the V3 update the both shifting point on the 165 and 165et? Also what tune should I run in my 2012 f250 4x4, with factory size tires and a cold air kit? I drive a lot of city/highway (I sit in a lot of traffic) miles in the Dallas/Ft Worth metroplex. I have been running the 165hp and been getting 18.5-19.5mpg. Thanks for any advise

Last edited:

Klarence Karter

Reaction score
Its really all personal preference. I'd run em all an see which one YOU like, and fits your driving style. IMO the non ET tunes have a little better congested driving manners. I personally like the aggressiveness of the ET tunes. Gotta love options, America!!

bad1989mustang

Reaction score
I had the 165 in it and updated the tunes and reloaded and tried both tunes, their was not much difference in them really felt better shifting. but the truck seams sluggish compared to yesterday before I updated the tuner.

Hollywood

Reaction score
Any word on when V4 is going to be released? I know there was talk of it...but then it kinda faded away.

Also, is there a pre-order for SOTF (for 2012's)?

I know you all have a lot going on, and the updating of tunes and versions is awesome, so don't take it as a "are we there yet", just curious!! lol

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score
Any word on when V4 is going to be released? I know there was talk of it...but then it kinda faded away.

Also, is there a pre-order for SOTF (for 2012's)?

I know you all have a lot going on, and the updating of tunes and versions is awesome, so don't take it as a "are we there yet", just curious!! lol

We have been working on files for it. There is a beta 200QR (quick response) file available right now. We released it last week.

Latest posts

Members online