6.7 alternator out - 68k miles

c.jank

Reaction score
Please tell me this is out of the ordinary? What would have caused it? How hard is the install? Does anyone have a walk through or experience doing it. Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

c.jank

Reaction score
Started fine this morning. Sat at work for 6 hours. Wouldn't start when I went outside. Instantly jumped with cables. Drove an hour. Turned off for 10 minutes. Dead again

carcare

Reaction score
Put batteries in it. Check for draw. Alt most likely fine from what u r describing. It only takes on to be weak or have a shorted cell. They cram a lot more lead into the higher crank amp batteries so less fluid area to keep cool in summer

L1 master, I-car certified collision, paint

c.jank

Reaction score
Put batteries in it. Check for draw. Alt most likely fine from what u r describing. It only takes on to be weak or have a shorted cell. They cram a lot more lead into the higher crank amp batteries so less fluid area to keep cool in summer

Ok I will have the batteries tested today. I almost did yesterday but someone said alternator. These are 4 years old so it could be that time.

c.jank

Reaction score
It ended up being the batteries. Glad i got some decent info rather than listening to my first few advice givers.

thanks all!

RedRice589

Reaction score
It ended up being the batteries. Glad i got some decent info rather than listening to my first few advice givers.

thanks all!

Lol just read through and was like ummmm if it runs fine then it's batteries. But keep an eye on voltage if possible make sure it's still charging properly.

Should be 12.8 KEy on engine off I believe and 13.8-14.0 engine running. Someone can correct me if I'm off at all!

c.jank

Reaction score
Lol just read through and was like ummmm if it runs fine then it's batteries. But keep an eye on voltage if possible make sure it's still charging properly.

Should be 12.8 KEy on engine off I believe and 13.8-14.0 engine running. Someone can correct me if I'm off at all!

I was just so pissed off that it left me hanging like that with no warning and cut into my gym time so i took it to NTB they said "alternator" without testing it. i will definitely keep an eye. Definitely makes sense now that i consider the batteries are 4 years old.

carcare

Reaction score
Glad to help a fellow gym rat like myself. it's a shame but as in any industry you have your guys that like to take advantage of people or just don't know any better. It has put a black eye on our industry . But makes life better for us honest hard Workin guys. I own a 800k a year auto shop and am partners in a tow co and chain of body shops.my business thrives off of our reputation for honesty!

Latest posts

Members online