6.7 Excursion

Leftthenleft

Reaction score
Picked up a 2015 excursion last year and what started out as fixing a rust spot in the roof, turned into a complete repaint. It’s got a Carli coil over/bypass lift with full leafs in the rear. It has a bad vibration currently, and after reading some here I’m thinking pinion angle is the main culprit, BUT, they used the f350 transfer case with a slip yoke instead of the double joint I have seen on other excursions. Can I replace parts of the transfer case to get a flange yoke? Are there certain years that I would need to look for if I decide to go that route?
Also, can I remove the driveshaft, put it in 4x4 and go down the road to confirm it’s coming from the driveshaft or is that frowned upon?

Preciate the help, should get it back from paint in a few weeks.
53BD0197-F1E2-4E93-9BBF-9EFF1D05727B.jpeg

Sterling6.7

Reaction score
Bad pinion angle can cause vibration and axle wrap can add to it. When do you get the vibration? How much lift, 4”?

More details and photos on the conversion please. Did they use a CCSB and shorten the frame? Or swap drivetrain over to the original?

Leftthenleft

Reaction score
4.5” Carli. Full Deavers and no block in the rear so axle wrap is fairly minimal. 50-72 is where it is the worst.

I will have to get more pictures, but look up Custom Autos by Tim. They have tons of photos. Drivetrain is all 2015 with excursion leafs and shocks in the rear. Front seats and all dash is 2015. Second and Third row are excursion seats wrapped in black leather to match. It was a ccsb lariat. They cut the truck body at the b-posts, and then splice the excursion frame behind the trans mount but before the leaf springs.

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
You van remove the rear drive shaft and run it in just 4×4 down the road.

I know you have a different spring assembly then the excursions have. But excursions were know for axle wrap. Not saying you have it. But, it's also possible. The newer 2010 and up leaf springs are by far better. It helps big time.to have the axle centered on the springs and not offset.

Leftthenleft

Reaction score
Thank you. Will fluid come out without the slip yoke in the transfer case?

I’ve got some OUO bars but they were on my longbed. Not sure if I can shorten them enough.

Tiha

Super Moderator
Super Mod
Reaction score
Yes it will sling some oil out and make a mess but it will not hurt the case or run it dry. Just top it off when you are done.

My son, who has a 2003, not sure if that compares to yours, we fought the same thing. Changed pinion angles multiple times. He put new springs in to control axle wrap. took it to several different shops.

We finally pulled the rear shaft and test drove it. Vibration was gone.

New shaft made it a new truck.

His old shaft had that balancer on it. Even though we had a couple shops check and balance the shaft that balancer still I think was the culprit.