6.7 Pistons in a 6.4

PDT1081

Reaction score
Yeah ok after thinking about this I realized we are talking 6.7 Pistons in a 6.4. I don't know why or how they would run a 6.0 rod. The crank would have to be turned down a significant amount that I wouldn't think would be a good idea. Unless they are running a 6.0 crank as well? Again not a good idea.

Admittedly, I don't know if it works, but offset grinding the crank to the smaller journal size will create a longer stroke. The longer stroke can only work if the rod length, deck height, and compression height of the pistons allow it too.

Shafer171

Reaction score
Talked with Paul and yes he is grinding the crank to make the 6.0 rods work. I am not going that route. I will be doing the international hd Pistons stock rods and crank. Going to do billit push rods and stage one valve springs. Still undecided on which way I'm going with fuel and turbo.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Talked with Paul and yes he is grinding the crank to make the 6.0 rods work. I am not going that route. I will be doing the international hd Pistons stock rods and crank. Going to do billit push rods and stage one valve springs. Still undecided on which way I'm going with fuel and turbo.

let me know if i can help, we stock everything you listed and can help with the rest of your decisions.

6.4f350

Reaction score
Smaller journal will give you lower bearing speed, but if you're not doing a crazy build I don't know that it would be worth it since I haven't heard of many rod bearing failures on stockish RPM motors. Engine builders always have tricks up their sleeves and the ones doing crazy stuff that doesn't seem to make sense are usually ahead of everyone else though.

For a "normal" 6-700hp build delipped OEM or IH pistons will work fine, many people have run them for a long time and they're proven.

Shafer171

Reaction score
My dilemma now is how I want to run my up pipes. I have an old set of 6.0 manifolds I have been holding on too that I'd like to use. I like the elite kit with the waste gate just not sure if I want to spend that much and worried about turn around time.

6.4f350

Reaction score
My dilemma now is how I want to run my up pipes. I have an old set of 6.0 manifolds I have been holding on too that I'd like to use. I like the elite kit with the waste gate just not sure if I want to spend that much and worried about turn around time.

Just get th BD kit and call it a day... They are top notch. Well worth the money.

6.4f350

Reaction score
i believe they sell a kit with the provision for the EGR crossover pipe, you could run a wastegate from there or have the non-EGR pipes cut for a wastegate if you want to go that route.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Admittedly, I don't know if it works, but offset grinding the crank to the smaller journal size will create a longer stroke. The longer stroke can only work if the rod length, deck height, and compression height of the pistons allow it too.

correct, I think that's how Tadd was building his stroker engines, big money to do that tho.

Jakes155

Reaction score
Hey guys I’m in the same situation kinda ! I burned a hole in 1&5 on my 08 6.4 and I’ve heard kdd does the same thing but getting information from them is impossible! The 2011 6.7 piston is .030 larger then the stock 6.4 however it’s stroke is where my question is , are the strokes the same on the 6.4 and the 6.7

Jakes155

Reaction score
And there’s another question, coated and delipped, is that a 6.4 thing or a 6.0 thing or is it a ford thing !? I could just got with the 6.4 steel pistons and be done with it anyone who can help or advise or anything I’d really appreciate it

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
Hey guys I’m in the same situation kinda ! I burned a hole in 1&5 on my 08 6.4 and I’ve heard kdd does the same thing but getting information from them is impossible! The 2011 6.7 piston is .030 larger then the stock 6.4 however it’s stroke is where my question is , are the strokes the same on the 6.4 and the 6.7
If I'm not mistaken KDD is using the steel 6.7 pistons. Not the 2011 to 2019 pistons. They have their own rods made to make the steel 6.7 pistons work. The rods between the aluminum and steel pistons on the 6.7 are different. The steel pistons have a longer rod.

The stroke on the 6.4 is 4.13, the 6.7 is 4.251.

This is an 8 year old thread. You might not get many replies.

Jakes155

Reaction score
I’m new to the whole forum thing and haven’t figured out how to navigate these things so I do apologize and appreciate the information as it will come in handy I think I’m just gonna go with a set of steel 6.4 pistons and call it a day not sure yet unless I can get a set of rods from somewhere that can make them work kdd wants like 4 k for theirs and that’s a lot for a guy like me ! So I’m winging this whole thing ! Thanks again

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
I’m new to the whole forum thing and haven’t figured out how to navigate these things so I do apologize and appreciate the information as it will come in handy I think I’m just gonna go with a set of steel 6.4 pistons and call it a day not sure yet unless I can get a set of rods from somewhere that can make them work kdd wants like 4 k for theirs and that’s a lot for a guy like me ! So I’m winging this whole thing ! Thanks again
Where are you finding the steel 6.4 Pistons?

Of you need upgraded rods, then the kdd piston rod combo isn't bad.

Droth28

Reaction score
Unless your block needs sleeved I’d leave it alone and go with max force pistons. As far as your “engine builder” goes telling you 6.0 rods are Stroker than 6.4s lmfao wow, just wow. He’s obviously trying to get more money out of you by telling you to upgrade pistons that require machining the block. Don’t be a fool

Jakes155

Reaction score
Never said he “ the engine builder “ ever said to use 6.0 rods like I said I’m winging this whole thing gathering up information as I go but according to east coast the 6.7 6.4 and the 6.0 have the same length rods so the difference is in the piston as well as the pin size
IMG_0491.png
IMG_0490.png
IMG_0492.png

Jakes155

Reaction score
But after watching the video information from kdd the 6.7 pistons with the Carrillo rods may be the way to go it don’t make any sense to buy the same crap that failed to begin with ! So still undecided

Members online

No members online now.