6.7 problem. Please help.

huffy67

Reaction score
2013 F350 87,000 miles bone stock. It came in on a wrecker, it shut down on the road, it would restart and idle but that's about it. Had a bad fuel leak, found the rubber lines that connect to the injectors had sprung a leak towards the back on the passenger side. Replaced the whole rubber hose assembly that wraps around the motor thinking the fuel leak was starving it for fuel and why it wouldn't run right. Well, that fixed the leak but it still won't run right. It will idle but if you try to rev it up it will try and then die out. Seems like it's losing fuel or getting air in the fuel. I changed filters using motorcraft and making sure it was all done correctly. Still no change. Can't figure anything out with it on the scanner. Seems to have good low pressure fuel pressure and the rail pressure is on check even when it dies. Thought the exhaust was stopped up, so unbolted it at the bottom of the down pipe. Still no change.

Anybody have any ideas? I've been working on this thing for going on 3 days now at our auto repair shop. I'm about to give up and tell the guy to get it towed to the dealer...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sootie

Reaction score
has the fuel system been bled? sounds like air lock to me

Any codes? what kind of a scanner are you using

huffy67

Reaction score
We have a snap on verus and a snap on solus. The verus is there top of the line model. I have cycled the key 100 times to bleed the fuel system but it doesn't seem to make a difference

huffy67

Reaction score
I am not very familiar with the 6.7 powerstroke so I really don't know what to do to it or where to look.

sootie

Reaction score
cycling the key doesnt bleed anything. i don't know where to tell you to bleed from tho

Reaction score
Pull the Pressure Control Valve on the back of the drivers rail (easiest to do through the inner fender) and see if the tine screen has a bunch of debris on it. If it does, I would change it out. I have seen it many times on these trucks.

Let me know what you find. Sometimes, the screen looks fairly clean but the valve itself has issues and simply changing it anyway cures the problem.

huffy67

Reaction score
Ok thanks I'll try it. It seems like it's getting worse. Yesterday it idled fine, today cyl. #1 is missing and the contribution is bad.

huffy67

Reaction score
Ok I'll report back after lunch.

huffy67

Reaction score
Got the PCV out. Doesn't look too dirty. I'll try to post a pic

huffy67

Reaction score
c998a02695f80601d0f261bbd3e214c0.jpg

Mpoage

Reaction score
Looks like that tiny screen on the end has a bunch of debris on it. I had a truck that was throwing a weird fuel system code and I pulled the valve out and it had metal on it as well. Installed a new valve and my problem went away.

sootie

Reaction score
Looks like that tiny screen on the end has a bunch of debris on it. I had a truck that was throwing a weird fuel system code and I pulled the valve out and it had metal on it as well. Installed a new valve and my problem went away.

what was the metal from?

Reaction score
what was the metal from?

It's generally from the cp4. Unless there's a ton, I don't really get too worked up about it. Seeing small debris on the screen is very typical. It just sucks because really fine debris usually causes the valve to fail.

It's one of those parts that I don't question. I just spent the $100 and never looked back.

huffy67

Reaction score
It looks like a reddish brown dirt or sediment. Not metal.

huffy67

Reaction score
Since they call this the "fuel pressure regulator" wouldn't I see a problem with the rail pressure watching it on the scanner?

Latest posts

Members online