6 speed stuck in Low

Dieselfever

Reaction score
InI was driving a friend's 2001 F350, I'm going down the interstate running 70-75 when it jerks like the engine hiccuped and lost power briefly while it made a quick screeching sound. So I start to get over and get off the highway when the screeching sound comes back again for about the same duration but louder. I pulled into a gas station, put it in neutral, engage the parking brake and pop the hood. When I get out I first crouch down to see if anything is leaking, hanging down, etc; as I'm looking instantly the truck lunges up and stalls itself. I get back in, push the clutch in and start it(still in neutral), now when I let the clutch out it will take off and go in Low gear, it will shift into all gears as it should but when you put it in any gear other than low it will be locked in both and not move.

Has anyone had any experience with this situation before, I'll probably be pulling the trans and tearing it apart as soon as I get time. I haven't had one of these apart before so any idea what I should be looking for? Thanks in advance

Dieselfever

Reaction score
Just pulled it apart and the gear for low on the main shaft must have come out of placed and rubbed the shaft enough to weld itself to it. Everything else looks decent but being it had some issues before anyway It'll most likely get replaced as suggested here.

Dieselfever

Reaction score
Also does anyone know what year the output shaft on them was changed to the larger size? I'm thinking that I could find a donor trans from a 6.0 and change the case or a 7.3 2wd trans and change the rear case. I know the 2wds have a drive flange on the rear but is it able to be changed for a 4wd output shaft?

jaybuller

Reaction score
And that there is why I don't let friends drive my truck! also why I don't like driving other folks modded trucks because it would be my luck it would break for no apearent reason!

Latest posts

Members online