600 RWHP and still able to tow?

KCTurbos

Reaction score
Cruises around 11-1200, but when you drive unloaded it runs anywhere from 800-1000. So when towing these egts are not bad. If you're saying towing cannot be done, it totally can be done, just elevated egt numbers. Nothing to cause severe damage. Towed anything from our 25' boat to a full size horse trailer with one horse to a dump trailer full of trash, not sure on weights. I would like to see how it pulls with a skid steer and 30' gooseneck. But overall for having a big single charger on 205s these egts aren't terrible.

LOL... you are completely right. It is possible. I have had similar experiences and never had any issues. I also have some customers that have towed with big single turbo and injectors. As long as you keep your egts under 1200 (with short burst above 1200) then you should be fine.

But MOST people would consider that unacceptable. I have customers that freak out when they hit 1100 degrees pulling 20k going up a steep grade. They are worried they are going to blow up the motor :shocked:

Reid@Flyindiesel

Reaction score
LOL... you are completely right. It is possible. I have had similar experiences and never had any issues. I also have some customers that have towed with big single turbo and injectors. As long as you keep your egts under 1200 (with short burst above 1200) then you should be fine.

But MOST people would consider that unacceptable. I have customers that freak out when they hit 1100 degrees pulling 20k going up a steep grade. They are worried they are going to blow up the motor :shocked:

Agreed, you aren't going to hurt it with those egts! Now sustained 15-1800 or above will cause damage, but like you're saying its not going to do any damage rolling under 1200 towing, with occasional hill climbing. Thanks for the backup! lol:rockon:

swinky

Reaction score
1200 sustained just seems a little steep to me. But y'all definitely know more than me so I'll take your word.

Reid@Flyindiesel

Reaction score
Reid, how heavy was the trailer when you towed the race truck and the black dodge?

That was with the 35' trailer, not sure on weight, but it held a Megacab Dodge, and a crew cab golf cart. We couldn't fit the megacab and the race truck! That why we got our new 40' gooseneck :D But that was also with Chris' defueled tune and stock turbo. But I did have the 205s on there.

Ross@Flyindiesel

Reaction score
William that set up was pretty close to 15k towing. yea that's with a stock turbo and 1200 egts for most of the way up there. Its really all in how you drive the truck. Once you get close to this power level you have to constantly monitor coolant temp, oil temp, egts and things like that when towing. Its just one of those things. Granted that's on a single charger. Twins you might not have to worry so much if its sized correctly

Canadian Mind

Reaction score
I have similar aspirations as the OP, but I didn't want to start my own thread.

For now I'm only worrying about the block work. I need to do my HGs this summer, and would like to do everything that should be done to the block to increase it's reliability and longevity at that power level. My goal is to pull up the Coquahalla, max GVWR (23000) at 75mph. The big hill is an constant 7-8% grade between sea level and 4500 feet.

Right now, I'm looking to use the UCF heads. They have good reviews and I like their methods for addressing reliability. I believe their O-ring on a stock or Black Diamond (not black onyx) with ARP 625+s will be more than sufficient to prevent my heads from going. I will get them to do a mild port job to allow extra airflow without compromising the integrity of the heads. I asked them about larger valves and they said it wouldn't make a difference. Is this the case, or should I insist of 6.4 exhaust valves?

I'm also looking to go with a Colt stage 2 cam and RCDs 120lb springs. Would this be a good cam and spring setup to go with considering my goals? I wont be doing the turbos and injectors right away, will the cam and springs be okay on an otherwise stock setup?

Should I be concerned about the strength and longevity of the piston components and the crankshaft? Specifically, should I be worried about breaking a rod or ovaling the wrist pins? Is there anything that should be done to the piston head itself?

Thanks for your time folks.

GatorBaitR6

Reaction score
no matter what single charger and injector setup you have....only way to have 600hp while towing...you will need to do it with a race tune. You wont be able to have 600hp on a tow tune with a single charger and whatever injector size....and still have egt's manageable....just isn't gonna happen. To be able to tow the weight you want...and be able to do so with 600hp and not worry about egt's a whole lot....you're gonna need compounds....just no way around it.

Now if you want a DD that it capable of 600hp, but then have a tow tune to tow big weight and back hp down for towing to around 400hp....then that's doable with a single turbo/injector setup.

For instance....my truck's setup it a good 600hp on a race tune. I would never in my wildest dreams ever attempt to tow the amount of weight you want to with this setup on a race tune at 600hp.

I think he meant be able to reach 600hp on a race tune but tune it down to tow... not 600hp literally while towing...

white00strokerks

Reaction score
600hp

Yeah I wasn't wanting to tow at 600hp I was just wanting to easily reach 600hp and still be able to run a de fueled tow tune and pull gross weight.