7.3 Engine Build Disaster

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
I called and asked you if you were interested and you turned me down and said you weren't interested.

Due to the legality of it, yes we did. We weren't interested in going through the court system over the whole thing. We do hope that you figure it all out and we would love to be of assistance where we can. Unfortunately though we just can't get involved legally if it means missing time at the shop, I am sure you understand that.

Which leads me back to saying let us know if there is anything that we can help with, even if it is as simple as one item or a question.

Take care!

DocBar

Reaction score
The rods were installed correctly. The #2 cylinder rod bearing was completely gone. There wasn't anything left to even analyze. The rod and crank is toast. The head had a crack in the valve seat area as well. The oil pump was toast, the cam and lifters are messed up from all of the metal running through the engine. Obviously, I need a new oil cooler as well. He said it appeared that the main caps were working longitudinally as well. Said the other bearings weren't terrible, but the #2 was gone. Nothing left of it.

Seems pretty fishy to me after only 3500 miles.

So, I need a crank, cam and lifters, new rod and piston, maybe a new head, new bearings, new oil pump, new oil cooler, and what ever else I'm missing.

He is going to work up some numbers and get back to me.

FML :fustrate::fustrate::fustrate::fustrate:
At least the block is still good. Get everything rebalanced and blueprinted and you're back in business.

Any info on why #2 bearing was trashed?

Black 02

Reaction score
At least the block is still good. Get everything rebalanced and blueprinted and you're back in business.

Any info on why #2 bearing was trashed?

No, he's trying to figure out why. There was absolutely nothing left, so it makes it very hard to determine what caused it. Just sucks. I knew there was more metal in the system then "Just break-in" wear as told by the original builder.

Magnum, thanks for the offer. I still have the cam and lifters out of my original PMR motor that I may use as a core for a Gearhead cam.

Black 02

Reaction score
Due to the legality of it, yes we did. We weren't interested in going through the court system over the whole thing. We do hope that you figure it all out and we would love to be of assistance where we can. Unfortunately though we just can't get involved legally if it means missing time at the shop, I am sure you understand that.

Which leads me back to saying let us know if there is anything that we can help with, even if it is as simple as one item or a question.

Take care!

I do understand. I get it. I said on the phone I was willing to pay you for the time and troubles, but I understand. Thanks for the offer for other help.

My biggest issue in this whole ordeal was that a lot of shops are more than happy to tear the motor apart and sell you new parts, but I only found 2 in my area with a good reputation that was willing to tear the motor down in an intelligent manner, tell me what was done wrong, and then be willing to stick their neck out and say "This is what the original builder did wrong.... " and actually write that up in a legal document or be willing to be used as an expert witness in a court hearing. They didn't want to have to say "another shop screwed up and this is why...." I feel I've found an actual engine builder and machinist who can do that for me.

This was not directed at VDP at all. Derek told me his concerns over the phone about the legal process. This is just in general what I've found in my experiences in this fiasco.

Why is it so damn hard to find trustworthy shops that will build an engine for someone? A lot of these "shops" are just tuner and exhaust installers and they don't have a clue about actual mechanics and engine fundamentals. Anyone can bolt a lift, stacks, or a chip on a truck. I got to be the lucky one to find a shop that could barely do that.

ghohouston

Reaction score
I do understand. I get it. I said on the phone I was willing to pay you for the time and troubles, but I understand. Thanks for the offer for other help.

My biggest issue in this whole ordeal was that a lot of shops are more than happy to tear the motor apart and sell you new parts, but I only found 2 in my area with a good reputation that was willing to tear the motor down in an intelligent manner, tell me what was done wrong, and then be willing to stick their neck out and say "This is what the original builder did wrong.... " and actually write that up in a legal document or be willing to be used as an expert witness in a court hearing. They didn't want to have to say "another shop screwed up and this is why...." I feel I've found an actual engine builder and machinist who can do that for me.

This was not directed at VDP at all. Derek told me his concerns over the phone about the legal process. This is just in general what I've found in my experiences in this fiasco.

Why is it so damn hard to find trustworthy shops that will build an engine for someone? A lot of these "shops" are just tuner and exhaust installers and they don't have a clue about actual mechanics and engine fundamentals. Anyone can bolt a lift, stacks, or a chip on a truck. I got to be the lucky one to find a shop that could barely do that.

Yeah, the amount of fly by night "diesel shops" is amazing

Black 02

Reaction score
I think I'm gonna end up putting a used runner in the truck and selling it. The engine builder ran some numbers and said that it's gonna probably cost around $8k to fix my engine. I just can't afford to keep spending this kind of money on a 12 year old truck. It's in immaculate shape and I own it outright, but this is just getting silly.

As much as I don't want to admit it, the reality is that it's still a 12 year old truck and things are going to start breaking on it.

If I get a complete runner, I could sell 7 of my carillos (carillo will sell and new rod for $400), maybe the S468 and headers as a package, the girdle, the Termy twins, and get a few $$$ to put as a down payment on a newer truck. Having just spent like $15k for a 3500 mile motor doesn't make this decision any easier.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Hey man, it sucks balls, but we've all got hosed by somebody with these trucks. I dont blame you one bit with moving on.

bruce

Reaction score
Best decision I ever made was partin mine out and selling it. It will hurt initially but you'll get over it.

DocBar

Reaction score
Best decision I ever made was partin mine out and selling it. It will hurt initially but you'll get over it.
If you would've changed your HPOP oil, like they do at the Nation, you'd still be happily trucking along...:poke:

njjeep

Reaction score
Some days I wake up and all I think about getting the 7.3 in the 11's. Then someday I try to figure out how much I could get by parting it out. It's a love hate thing with the 7.3!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online