7.3 experts.. need help!!

silverpsd_06

Reaction score
Truck is a 2000 started notice a little coolant starting to disappear a month or so ago and parked it figuring it was a head gasket. Pulled the valve covers off to find a while lot of sludge/coolant mixture and yes oil was changed three Weeks prior to putting it up. Drained the oil out of the pan and it is clean as can be. How can I be getting coolant up there without it running like crap.. I don't think its a head gasket anymore but what other options are there??

golfer

Reaction score
7.3L's rarely have HG issues...

it's likely a cracked block.

pressurize the coolant sys with air(12-15psi)...leave the pan plug out...

bar the engine over slowly (to move the pistons up & down)..and see if you can get 'a' piston in a location to obscure the air rushing sound out the oil pan plug...

it's rare...but it's probably a cracked block

next step would be to do the same test by putting air into a glow plug hole...and barring each cyl U&D to see which cyl makes the air sound out the pan hole...

injector cups 99.9% of the time fail with having diesel fuel in the coolant jug

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
um..... oil cooler?

gravvy.jpg

Last edited:

silverpsd_06

Reaction score
Any chance of a cracked head??

Mine looked exactly like that ctc only it was not milky at all just straight black this motor had been sitting untouched for a solid month would it settle back out abs separate??

Last edited:

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
If it was black, I would clean it all out real good and change the oil. run it for awhile and recheck... watch all your fluids close. I cant see coolant separating from oil

silverpsd_06

Reaction score
Everything is already out and I'm pulling the motor just wanting a direction to start looking this motor was seeing 65 psi of boost.. That's why I immediately jumped to a hg and it seemed to do it worse the harder I ran it but its kinda making me wonder why I have coolant up top very obviously and nothing in the pan. The only three places I can think they would when have a remote chance of mixing would be oil cooler, the chra of the secondary turbo or a head gasket. I can't speak for the previous owner but its never gotten hot with me. I'm just not seeing the cracked block or head but stranger things have happened

Arisley

Reaction score
Everything is already out and I'm pulling the motor just wanting a direction to start looking this motor was seeing 65 psi of boost.. That's why I immediately jumped to a hg and it seemed to do it worse the harder I ran it but its kinda making me wonder why I have coolant up top very obviously and nothing in the pan. The only three places I can think they would when have a remote chance of mixing would be oil cooler, the chra of the secondary turbo or a head gasket. I can't speak for the previous owner but its never gotten hot with me. I'm just not seeing the cracked block or head but stranger things have happened

65lbs. of boost, and twins. Please tell us it also has head studs.

silverpsd_06

Reaction score
Yes sir H11's.. Motor comes out next weekend after I fab up my larger wastegate setup I'll tear into it and see what i find. Im prayin for a head gasket or oil cooler.

907DAVE

Reaction score
I would spend the time to diag it in the truck, if you pull it and dont find anything obvious your gonna be pissed for not knowing the cause.

907DAVE

Reaction score
His entire motor/ injectors/ hpop/ turbo's are probably wiped out already, but it would be a shame to rebuild and have the same problem.

silverpsd_06

Reaction score
Things were not that bad it ran great.. Small amounts of coolant under the valve covers. Not sopping wet and nothing in the pan. Why I'm kinda at a loss and gonna start testing per daves advice

TyCorr

Reaction score
His entire motor/ injectors/ hpop/ turbo's are probably wiped out already, but it would be a shame to rebuild and have the same problem.

why is the that? If it's running fine then why would it have to be trashed? This is only a question and I'm not winding up to argue with you. I'm curious because when I did my coolant change there was a little bit of oil in my radiator.

I'm going to rehab my oil cooler when I drain my flush. Then injectors are getting swapped so cups will be done shortly too.

907DAVE

Reaction score
Water and oil mixture does not lubricate moving parts well.

Oil in the radiator is a completely different problem.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Water and oil mixture does not lubricate moving parts well.

Oil in the radiator is a completely different problem.

Well, I've got the injectors so I hope not! They smell pretty weird but there wasn't any milky shti on them. Just black.

I'm going to send them off so no biggie.

Oh, and thanks for the reply.

TyCorr

Reaction score
I cleaned them off with parts cleaner before shipping them off to you... Thats the smell.

It's cool Scott. I'm gonna speed up my plans to get them reworked BEFORE I put them in. It's the responsible way. That way I know they're balanced, etc. You know, so I don't.Have to pull them prematurely?

Thanks for cleaning them! Did they have milky stuff on them?

Latest posts

Members online