7.3 fuel system recommendations

taterthedog

Reaction score
2001 7.3
Right now truck has the stock fuel system. I need to upgrade to feed 300/200s. Up front I want to do the fuel bowl delete system from Strictly Diesel. I'm wondering what to run from the tank. Pumps, filters etc. Would like to run Cat filters if possible. Also, should I run a sump or not?
Thanks for any suggestions.
Brad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2000wa250

Reaction score
What I would do if I had it to do all over again is a pair of filter bases with appropriate filters and water separators, pump between them. Sump at the tank with 5/8's line from tank to filters, then filters to a y block on the motor. -6 lines from y block to back of heads return from front of heads to regulator and use factory feed line to take it back to the tank.

V-Ref

Reaction score
What I would do if I had it to do all over again is a pair of filter bases with appropriate filters and water separators, pump between them. Sump at the tank with 5/8's line from tank to filters, then filters to a y block on the motor. -6 lines from y block to back of heads return from front of heads to regulator and use factory feed line to take it back to the tank.
Boom^^^

I believe the fuel ports on the head are 1/8" npt. The rest is up to your preference. I like pushlok and JIC. The sump will help a stock/weak pump hold pressure vs a pickup tube.

taterthedog

Reaction score
I guess having the pump(s) as close to the sump as possible would be best. Do I need any filter before the pump? I 'd like to have the separator and filter mounted up out of the way? I can't have them hanging down below the frame rail.

V-Ref

Reaction score
I guess having the pump(s) as close to the sump as possible would be best. Do I need any filter before the pump? I 'd like to have the separator and filter mounted up out of the way? I can't have them hanging down below the frame rail.

BF1212 pre pump
uploadfromtaptalk1425706491288.jpg

BF7633 post pump
uploadfromtaptalk1425706506811.jpg

Filtration, water separation, done.

Last edited:

m j

Reaction score
Marty's kit looks nice

mine ended up looking like his and had I known probably would have been a lot easier to buy from him
I do like the baldwin bases I used

mine

Attachments

• 2014-07-12 12.11.24.jpg
    2014-07-12 12.11.24.jpg
    978.8 KB · Views: 211

TyCorr

Reaction score
20130428_194139_zpscf008a4b.jpg

Mine came from irate. Same concept.

I would prefer an external sump with shutoff as opposed to the 5/8 straw I have. It's working fine, no issues but the sump would be easier on the pump at times.

David N

Reaction score
I would definitely recommend Marty's kit.

I'm not certain if he would sell individual parts of his kit, but its worth asking. Buy the filter base setup and do the rest yourself.

His kits are top notch. And he's awesome to deal with.

Magnum PD

Reaction score
I got Diesel innovations fittings that go in back of the fuel rails.

m j

Reaction score
if you are using an a1000 they have -10 ORB inlet and outlet which are the same as the baldwin fb1311 bases, so you connect them with two -10 ORB couplings
it doesnt get cleaner IMO

taterthedog

Reaction score
Marty's kit looks nice

mine ended up looking like his and had I known probably would have been a lot easier to buy from him

mine

That looks good. Got a part # for the bases?

Also, anyone have a side view of how far a sump sticks down.

Carolina444

Reaction score
Marty's kit looks nice

mine

Is this setup on a daily driver? I have a a1000 lying around but i was planning on the dual Bosch. I wasn't sure on reliability on the a1000.

neverkickn

Reaction score
You could mount your pump and filters in the engine bay if you want, but you would need to get creative to find the room. You would also need a lift pump to get fuel to the engine mounted fuel pump/filter assembly. It would have to be a high flow low pressure pump with either an internal bypass or an externally mounted regulator. That would be pretty complicated, but you know all this.

Have you looked at the racor and dahl options for water separation? I think one of them has an option with an internal fuel heater. I'm assuming you just don't want filters under the truck to protect them from cold and road debris. If that's the case you could do a heated water seperator on the frame with a protective box, and mount your post pump filter in the engine bay. Pm Tom S and ask what he used for a water separator. I'm pretty sure it had a heater on it.

TyCorr

Reaction score
You guys down south worried about heating fuel=hilarious.

My fuel gets warm in temperatures above 20° just because it goes through the cylinder heads.

TyCorr

Reaction score
If you are worried about the possibility of road debris hitting the filters you could add a bulkhead onto the leading edge of the filter setup.

Latest posts

Members online