7.3 issues NEED HELP Daily Driver Lots of codes Transmission issue

nah308

Reaction score
Hi all. I have a 2003 7.3 ccsb 4x4 relevant mods are php hydra chip and edge insight CTS also ford AIC. I have recently been having an issue with the truck rpm dropping like it was about to die then suddenly revving back up. Chased around the chip for awhile recleaning pcm contacts and problem seemed to go away, this was several months ago. Did it again a few weeks ago but actually died while idling in park. usually I would have no codes but that time I had a few cylinder contribution codes. Memory is a little foggy but I replaced the CPS with a new motorcraft one from my local ford dealer. Again problem seemed to go away and I thought it was fixed. Now recently I have been having a shift flare in the 1 2 upshift which would seem unrelated. Upon hard acceleration the other day the truck seemed to die and lose power (happened in middle of traffic so I was more focused on safely getting off the road). However truck started right back up and seemed normal. now today on my way home from work, the trans seemed to shift funny after pulling a hill and suddenly my speedometer dropped to zero, i dont remember tach reading. I got out of the throttle and coasted then got back on it and truck seemed to move. got it pulled in a parking lot and as soon as i stopped the truck died. I restarted it and made it home. List of codes is as followes:
p1249
p1000- I feel this is unrelated/ chip related but normal
p0232
p0460
p0476
p0741
p1740
p1727

Thanks in advance for the help, my AE is down currently due to issues with my pc but im going to try to borrow a computer. This issue seems very overwhelming currently and I appreciate any help that can be offered.

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
P1249 Waste gate steady state failure GND short, plugged hose/port, solenoid, actuator

P0232 Fuel pump circuit failure Relay failure, short circuit, pump failure

P0460 Fuel level sensor circuit malfunction Open/short circuit, cluster, tank unit, open case GND

P0476 Exhaust pressure control valve performance Failed/stuck EPR control, EBP fault, EPR circuit

P0741 Torque converter clutch ckt. performance Circuit failure, faulty solenoid, PCM

P0740 Torque Converter Clutch Circuit

P1727 Coast Clutch Solenoid Inductive Signature Malfunction

nah308

Reaction score
So any insight on which of these are related? Fuel pump should be fine it is only a couple years old. What is weird is that I know the truck didnt have all of these codes a couple weeks ago, it is very suspicious that they would all show up at once as soon as I had a problem

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
So any insight on which of these are related? Fuel pump should be fine it is only a couple years old. What is weird is that I know the truck didnt have all of these codes a couple weeks ago, it is very suspicious that they would all show up at once as soon as I had a problem

Since you said you are currently having shifting problems I would track down/pay attention to these codes first and find out why its throwing these codes, after that I would chase down the others.

P0741 Torque converter clutch ckt. performance ,Circuit failure, faulty solenoid, PCM

P0740 Torque Converter Clutch Circuit

P1727 Coast Clutch Solenoid Inductive Signature Malfunction

Did you try to remove the chip from the PCM and see how it shifts?

Last edited:

nah308

Reaction score
sorry to double post, but i thought i would post a resolution, or at least partly. I do believe I have found out the cause of the random stalling issue. I eventually unplugged the control module for the hydra chip, chip is still in pcm and on php daily driver setting but the switch portion is unplugged. knock on wood no random stalling for a couple months now. I am going to contact powerstruck about possible causes of the issue. I still have a shift flare on the 1-2 on hard acceleration mostly when TFT is above 160. I have also noticed lately my fluid temp for trans has been higher about 185 running in town empty. Weather has been warm where I live though. about 95 to 100 ambient temp. The shift flare does not seem to occur when the trans temp is below 140. Im thinking valve body bleeding pressure or torque converter seal bleeding pressure. Thanks for all the help.

Latest posts

Members online