7.3 oil in coolant and puking coolant.

Bustedknuckles

Reaction score
What could cause that? The truck is basically stock and the last shop put a new oil cooler on it for the oil and coolant mixing issue which did not fix it. The only thing i could think of is a cracked block???

The Brad

Reaction score
On the inside of the cup, you have high pressure oil on top, and fuel below. On the outside is the coolant passage. The fuel area of the cup is more exposed to the coolant passage, but I suppose a cup could crack in a spot that allows oil into the coolant. Or maybe a cracked cup and bad o-ring.

DISCLAIMER: I probably have no clue what I'm talking about. The sum of my knowledge comes from: The Internet, replacing my injectors and I stayed at a Holliday Inn Express last night.

ghohouston

Reaction score
Assuming the coolant and oil are already drained, if it were me, I'd pull the oil drain plug, fill the coolant system with water, and pressure it up, just to see. That being said, the only times I've seen oil in the coolant of a 7.3 has been from failed oil cooler o rings. Obviously, a cracked block or headgasket could be the issue, but sounds unlikely, unless they had too much water in the coolant system and it got freezing cold on yall ans this happened

Bustedknuckles

Reaction score
Assuming the coolant and oil are already drained, if it were me, I'd pull the oil drain plug, fill the coolant system with water, and pressure it up, just to see. That being said, the only times I've seen oil in the coolant of a 7.3 has been from failed oil cooler o rings. Obviously, a cracked block or headgasket could be the issue, but sounds unlikely, unless they had too much water in the coolant system and it got freezing cold on yall ans this happened
I might do that. If it were mine I would do the injector cups and see if it fixed it but the customer is thinking about just replacing the motor that way its for sure fixed because he's been chasing it for awhile.

co04cobra

Reaction score
I think it's highly unlikely that the cups are the problem. Have you pulled the oil cooler back off? Was it a different oil cooler then the last or just reoringed? Have you pressure checked the cooling system?

Bustedknuckles

Reaction score
I think it's highly unlikely that the cups are the problem. Have you pulled the oil cooler back off? Was it a different oil cooler then the last or just reoringed? Have you pressure checked the cooling system?
He told us the other shop replaced the oil cooler so im assuming it was new. Would it make sense for a bad oil cooler to cause it to blow coolant out the degas bottle? No I didnt pressure test the cooling system, he couldnt leave it with us.

Bustedknuckles

Reaction score
Well the guy went and bought a 94 engine for it. The fuel pump and injector harness setup is different plus some other stuff. Can I just swap everything and it will work?
ec59c19e4270d586f74d8520c9ee5c0c.jpg

co04cobra

Reaction score
Yes. You need to change the front cover to I believe. But everything will bolt up. Use only the 94 long block.

Bustedknuckles

Reaction score
So I have this thing together and now it runs rough and misses under load. I did a contribution and buzz test and it all comes back clear. The owner was told that it could be caused by using split shot injectors in an engine designed for single shots. I have never heard of this being a problem but figured I would ask on here. Anyone ran into this?

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
So I have this thing together and now it runs rough and misses under load. I did a contribution and buzz test and it all comes back clear. The owner was told that it could be caused by using split shot injectors in an engine designed for single shots. I have never heard of this being a problem but figured I would ask on here. Anyone ran into this?
is this a sd or an obs we are dealing with?

live life full throttle

Arisley

Reaction score
No the block does not care what injectors are in there. The tuning does, and improper tuning will make the truck idle bad. Off idle it should run fine.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Its a SD with an OBS long block.
so you took every single obs part off the motor and turned it into a sd motor? fuel pump, fuel bowl, ftont cover, manifolds, up pipes, turbo/pedestal, injectors, hpop, and all? you only used rotating assembly, block, heads and valvetrain?

live life full throttle

Bustedknuckles

Reaction score
so you took every single obs part off the motor and turned it into a sd motor? fuel pump, fuel bowl, ftont cover, manifolds, up pipes, turbo/pedestal, injectors, hpop, and all? you only used rotating assembly, block, heads and valvetrain?

live life full throttle
Precisely.

Bustedknuckles

Reaction score
No the block does not care what injectors are in there. The tuning does, and improper tuning will make the truck idle bad. Off idle it should run fine.
Thats what I thought. I think we have a bad injector but XDP told him that you cant run split shot injectors in a single shot motor so now I need to convince him otherwise. What sucks is his truck didnt have this miss when he brought it here and we re-used his old injectors and now have a problem.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Thats what I thought. I think we have a bad injector but XDP told him that you cant run split shot injectors in a single shot motor so now I need to convince him otherwise. What sucks is his truck didnt have this miss when he brought it here and we re-used his old injectors and now have a problem.
check, double check, and recheck the double check on ALL conections... and tell the dude that xdp failed to metion that as long as you use the corect pcm or tune, it will run either injector that it calls for.

live life full throttle

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.