7.3 towing power

STROKERBO

Reaction score
I agree. A 38 R is all you need. I have a lifted truck with a 38 R and 40 inch tires and a built trans and pull a enclosed 18k trailer just perfectly with my PHP Hydra with PHP tunes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jomax

Reaction score
I used to tow in Matt's street muscle tune all the time. 24' enclosed with a car in it, and the truck had 35's on it, 2002 ccsb as seen in my avatar. Got 13.66mpg hand calculated on a trip back from Santa Fe NM to Central Texas, running 68-70mph, which turned like 1750rpm, it wouldn't downshift on small hills, or in a headwind, and had no issue with passes in New Mexico (6k ish ft).

I don't see how with that brick wall of a trailer... I get 8-9

Jason

Reaction score

I honestly couldn't tell ya. All figured by hand, I made it from Santa Fe to Santa Rosa, and was looking at my gauge, and thought..now that ain't right..stopped to top off, and it clicked off before I walked around the truck to the passenger side. Stopped down in Lubbock, same thing. Left Lubbock, got home to Waco, and still had 1/4 tank left. Trans, ported housing, and 4" mbrp was all it had. But again I didn't mash on it to get up to speed, didn't force downshifts, etc, just cruised. I was in no hurry. Hell, it would get 8.9 grossing 28k lbs which it did a few times.

Dirtclod

Reaction score
Since I changed out my 01 7.3 for the 00 with the regulated return my truck tows awesome. When I had the ts 6 pos chip my stock turbo wouldn't handle it. To be honest I don't care to have a chip or programmer with my stock injectors and turbo. For the last month I've been towing a 14' welding trailer or 16' trailer loaded with no telling what. My egts have never got over 900 pulling 7 miles on 7% grade. My pull behind weighs 12k dry so @14 loaded and I can pull that hill at 75. 4" dp,s&b intake,del**** pedestal,reg return and built tranny, I love the way my Ps 7.3 pulls.

slowstroke

Reaction score
throw a H2E in there
stage 2 or 3 injectors
Chip by tuner of your choice
HD clutch
and supporting mods and you'll have a mean towing machine

hucorey

Reaction score
My vote is for the KC38R, but with stock injectors I'd go with the .84 AR housing or the KC66. For only a little bit more money than a Garrett 38R, the KC38R comes with a billet wheel already installed.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

TyCorr

Reaction score
Who in here is crazy about billet wheels in 38r? Raise your hands!

I have one, my hand is down.

CarportMechanic

Reaction score
Just swapped back to the stock wheel. Much better bottom end power. Very noticeable power increase when towing.

On a side not, I have a WW2 for sale! Anyone???

TyCorr

Reaction score
Just swapped back to the stock wheel. Much better bottom end power. Very noticeable power increase when towing.

Same experience here...i am hesitating because the silence has been nice. The stock wheel whines like a bitsh who wants money.

CarportMechanic

Reaction score
Same experience here...i am hesitating because the silence has been nice. The stock wheel whines like a bitsh who wants money.

I agree with that. I just made a 1,000 mile trip a few weekends ago with no load behind me and the stock wheel was noisy as all hell. Couldn't imagine having to do that with some weight behind me. Its fine for short trips but 8+ hours at a time is almost unbearable for me.

TyCorr

Reaction score
I find loaded is better...it builds more boost and gets ya past the 5-7psi point where its noisy as hell.

rjustman

Reaction score
Wow I haven't gotten any notices on this thread in days.I'm in middle of buying a house so funds are tight right now..I've looked into the hydra tuner and seems like a reasonable deal to get into..I'll toss an s&b and exhaust on it first..what's the verdict on exhaust..every diesel I've owned has been straight piped 4",my fummins is straight piped 5" but has compounds so it's like better than a muffler..how rowdy do these 7.3s get under load..I mean the cab is noisy already from motor and trans noise.would I notice the straight piped exhaust? And at 233 shipped it's hard to beat price wise.

The turbo will be the thing that comes last..I've Google the kc turbos yall are talking about with no luck..anyone have a website??

darkside708

Reaction score
Just finished installing a kc38r on my 02 today. Unfortunately the truck is completely stock besides a 5" exhaust for a few more weeks until I swap all the mods over from my 03. I'll post back then if this thread is still active...

lincolnlocker

Reaction score

my dually got 12ish with my old 5th wheel on the back of her... cruise set at 80...
Who in here is crazy about billet wheels in 38r? Raise your hands!

I have one, my hand is down.
i love mine but it is tuned different then most. i have the 11 blade version not the actual ww replica with the step blades..

lol.. if tq is held back some on the bottom end then the actual ww2 11 blade is doggy.. mine is not held back..

live life full throttle

god bless america and the farmer who feeds your fat ass

TyCorr

Reaction score
Ive got metric shti tons of fuel its just not a good fit for me for some reason. I don't know if its the 35s and the 3.73 gears. It gets hot. I need to do some other stuff to it before I go back to the stocker. Hell i may try the billet version of the cast wheel. Mines the 11blade single plane wheel as well.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.