7.3 work truck

mfoltz

Reaction score
Hey guys I just bought a 2000 7.3 with 168k miles on it all stock. I have a construction buisness and will be putting a cap in it. I'm wanting to know what I shold do to it that would be best for pulling and mpg. Should I get a full exhaust or just straight pipe the stock one? Will a tune be worth the money and what about an air intake? Just looking for reliablity and mpg

kingbilly68

Reaction score
Gauges first. Tymar or Napa 6637 filter. Straight pipe factory exhaust. Hydra from gea rhead. John Wood or BTS valve body for tranny. Those are the standard 7.3 upgrades.

mfoltz

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response. So should I just get flex pipe for the exhaust or is their ****** pipes like they have for the new trucks? Who can I call to get most of them stuff? I have a 6.7 and haven't had a 7.3 for years lol I'm use to the new trucks. Roughly how much does all this cost? I had a 97 7.3 and I had the gauges and I think a 6 position chip in it but I sold all that when I traded it in

mfoltz

Reaction score
I remember on my 97 that the down pipe was realy restricted. Is that how this one will be? Wondering if I should buy a full exhaust

psduser1

Reaction score
The SD downpipe isnt quite as bad as the obs downpipe.
Mbrp makes a good exhaust. Tymar style Intake kit, and a ts chip, or hydra, or dp's version , and drive it.
Should be a decent bump in power, with no downside.
Gauges would be good, or at least a obd connected monitor.

mfoltz

Reaction score
I would rather do the plug in for watching the temps but I don't want to spend alot. I might just work my way their buying a few things at a time.

kingbilly68

Reaction score
I know everyone bashes them but my glow shift gauges have problem free. Cheap insurance. I would at the very least get a trans temp gauge. Mine has saved me a couple times. A 6.0 trans cooler or bigger than factory cooler is a good upgrade too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online