7.3L Miss at Mid-RPM

Black 02

Reaction score
Is it a used twin pump setup or is it brand new from Joey?

It was a used setup that I bought from Vision Diesel that Curtis and Derek both said was in good working shape when I got it and that it had been gone through by Joey and had the updated IPR block added. It doesn't have Joey's newest IPR block, but Joey said what I had would be fine.

The pumps were on Curtis' OBS running 400/400's I think.

Joey said they were twin 15 degree pumps and that I should have no problems with them.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Sorry for the brevity but take that gddamned pump setup off and put one of your hpops on with an ipr and see what happens. Its in that pump setup or you have injector issues.

Id be checking that pump before you spend anymore money.

Ask golfer if they have any srp cores around so you can purchase one. Send it off to dynoproven and they can fix them. The srp when working will feed those injectors. Quite fine.

Or if you feel that is shady to ask him that try one if your pumps as a single and if that fixes the issue you need a different hpo solution. Im sure someone can repair that thing if Joey is off the grid.

Layson

Reaction score
I would let you borrow mine if I had one. I am running my spare which is a POS SRP1....LOL It needs to go away. Just been too busy..LOL

superpsd

Reaction score
As mentioned early on in this thread. You may want to put a mechanical gauge on the system and compare that with the ICP signal. There may be something errant about the signal the pcm is getting. After all you said it runs better when you unplug it. I have had icp issues related to the icp pigtail a few times but they usually throw a CEL. As for a pump I have a good 15° pump that I would lend out but I am a few hours north of you and honestly I rather not ship it as I have had multiple issues lately with shippers losing my chit.That and extremely busy as of lately. The pump will need a good cleaning as the case is caked in dirt.

Joey is still on the grid I noticed he posted over on PSN this morning. He mentioned in another recent post he was dealing with a family /personal issue.

Last edited:

Black 02

Reaction score
Did you try moving the feed. It Mau be a long shot but its not to hard to try. I use to work on hydraulic test benches with particle countering equiptment . We had to plumb in the sampling tubes correctly as there is a lot of turbulence in hydraulic systems and if you didn't put the sampling inlets in the right area you got inaccurate information. I am pretty sure all the factory setups place the feed on that side with the ICP to the rear port. They may have done this for a reason. Just a thought. It still does not make sense of the spike however so testing a stock hoop is probably what you will have to do.

I haven't moved the feed yet. I've been told it should be ok where it is in the stock location, but I could try it.

superpsd

Reaction score
And it probably does not matter. If it was causing turbulance you would think that it would be causing fluctuations in the feedback not spikes so I am going to guess it will not matter but I was just throwing it out there

Black 02

Reaction score
I would let you borrow mine if I had one. I am running my spare which is a POS SRP1....LOL It needs to go away. Just been too busy..LOL

I spoke with Clay today and he might have one for me. I don't feel like splitting the twin pumps apart.

superpsd

Reaction score
I don't think you can split them apart. I thought they use a common custom driveshaft? I could be way off.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
I'm working up in Tacoma right now, I have a known good 17* with me. Your welcome to it if you need it. Let me know, I may be heading back to Oregon on Tuesday.

Black 02

Reaction score
I don't want to jinx myself, but long story short, the truck seems to be working fine with the stock HPOP.

I finally got it installed yesterday. Used an updated tune for the stock pump and the truck runs pretty smooth. No issue with the surging/hitching while on the freeway or cruising so far. Truck is running a lot better than it has in quite awhile. So, something must be up with my Terminator Twins. I either need to see if Joey will fix them or get a different setup to run those injectors.

That being said, the truck is smokey on startup and when the engine is warmed up and idling, it still is a little choppy and almost for the lack of a better term, misses once in awhile when idling. It's kinda like a car with dirty points. Just a small hiccup randomly. I wonder if I could have some injector issues also.

Either way, I'm gonna drive it awhile and see what happens. It's actually kind of nice to drive without all of that bucking going on. Never thought it would be the HPOP, but it seems to be the problem.

superpsd

Reaction score
I guess it would be best to see what Term says about it. There is always the Gen 3 option. Gen 3 seems good but it sound like the Gen 3 is still known to shear the oil faster using a gear pump. If you get your hands on a good SRP1.1 dynoproven can turn it into a Honey Badger SR. I am running the SR and happy with it so far. I only have so many miles on it yet but it supplies enough oil for my oil hungry B code injectors. Your other issue may be injector poppet issues.

Last edited:

TyCorr

Reaction score
I don't know enough about them. That's why I am not following Ty's suggestion. I've got a lead on a stock pump to just try out.

Yea, if you dont know how to take them apart that would be a bad idea. I ASSumed you knew how to work on them.

TyCorr

Reaction score
I prefer the The 100 Layer Donuts from http://www.fivedaughtersbakery.com/

a few vanilla creme filled and some chocolate glazed...

thanks.

(btw, just send the bill to Joey...he's used to it)

I love donuts...perhaps too much...

Got a local place that makes whipped filled long johns. White or chocolate icing. To die for. They make their own raspberry and blueberry filling for the "jelly" donuts also.

I don't ever proclaim to be right on here because, i dont know much other than putting 500k on 7.3s but I woulda bet the title on my new car it was hpo related and possibly his injectors. Had a slightly smaller set with the same size nozzles from the same builder. That shti was never quite right.

mandkole

Reaction score
You come out here to Voodoo donuts and have your girl ask for the C&B... unless you like dudes you wouldn't want to ask for that. Basically a longjohn with some attachments... lol

TyCorr

Reaction score
You come out here to Voodoo donuts and have your girl ask for the C&B... unless you like dudes you wouldn't want to ask for that. Basically a longjohn with some attachments... lol

Ummmmm, we were having a donut discussion on the up and up.

Layson

Reaction score
Good to hear you are getting closer to figuring it out.

Ask Joey when is he going to get going on my pumps!

Latest posts

Members online