76MM ball bearing turbo VS. stock journal bearing

08BIGRIG

Reaction score
All I know is that the High powers from Elite with the 76mm ball bearing charger are absolutely amazing on the street. They light increadably quick

MorganY

Reaction score
Did you see the difference on your truck or just between yours and Kalebs?

Turbine wheels are vastly different sizes too, gt35 turbine inducer is 68mm where as the borg charger you run was a 76mm inducer (if its the 68 exducer wheel that everyone runs, huge difference.

Cant exactly compare 6.7 to a 6.0 either. My brothers duramax with a box 66 drives like a stock truck and zero smoke and makes boost at 1300 rpm, mine doesnt make boost until 17-1800 Apples to Rice Cakes comparison.

No. Im comparing from personal bench, distributor word of mouth, and second-hand engineering experience.

The 300rpm claim comes from a few distributors that have done back to back testing with comparable units using a 5.9 as the test rig.

I would never attempt to make an assertion based off of two entirely different engine's performance. You know me better than that....

From a bench:

- Explain how an 80mm GTX CHRA will accelerate faster with the propulsion held constant, than a s300 BW CHRA with less rotational mass.

Friction. Much less of it with a BB unit. Makes for huge gains in spool up down low.

You know how much mass Garrett's turbine wheels have too compared to a BW.....Throw a 478 BW in with a GTX 4508 and its laughable.

Last edited:

stroker 6.4

Reaction score
I love the BB stuff. Has worked for me..lol

even after popping one. Still went back to BB.

I would like to see a big BB on a high HP 6.4 see how it would do..

No luck at MPD with them?

In the process of puttin a gtx4508r on my 6.4

Mike@MPD

Reaction score
The 4508 on Craigs truck spooled like sh1t from what I found driving a 75 80mm and 4508. The 4508 was also the slowest running turbo on king Kong

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

MorganY

Reaction score
The 4508 on Craigs truck spooled like sh1t from what I found driving a 75 80mm and 4508. The 4508 was also the slowest running turbo on king Kong

Lasted the longest. Less friction on the shaft. Plain and simple. Ball bearing > Journal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Mike@MPD

Reaction score
Still blew sky high like the rest of them. Ran a 11.3 with it and a 10.80 with the 75. Didn't last THAT much longer. Couldn't sell me on one.

Reaction score
It seems the larger turbos don't make as much difference. But the small ones benefit a lot more. I believe it's because the larger ones have so much mass to begin with that the bearings don't make as significant of a difference.

But take a cast bw 66/71/.84 vs gtx3582r 62.5/68/.84..... That gtx outflows and outperforms it in every way, except price.

MorganY

Reaction score
It seems the larger turbos don't make as much difference. But the small ones benefit a lot more. I believe it's because the larger ones have so much mass to begin with that the bearings don't make as significant of a difference.

But take a cast bw 66/71/.84 vs gtx3582r 62.5/68/.84..... That gtx outflows and outperforms it in every way, except price.

Indeed. My 478 compared to a 4508 GTX on a bench is embarassing.

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
on a bench, put it in a truck and real world test it, and take it down the track

Matt

Reaction score
Indeed. My 478 compared to a 4508 GTX on a bench is embarassing.

Isn't putting two turbos on a bench with no oil in them kind of a bad way to say which is gonna spool quicker?

mustube

Reaction score
The journal bearing turbo uses a film of oil for the shaft to ride on. Its like getting your truck sideways, it's a lot easier if the road is wet and you have a layer of water to slide across.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

MorganY

Reaction score
Isn't putting two turbos on a bench with no oil in them kind of a bad way to say which is gonna spool quicker?

They were oiled.

Ceramic ball bearings have MUCH less friction than a journal bearing. They require restrictors. Too much oil in a BB will actually cause windage and will affect spool up in a negative way.

Also how do you explain a BB CHRA with more rotational mass, accelerating faster than a lesser in mass journal style unit?

Think about it...the friction component is greatly reduced.

Blade counts, trims, exhaust manifolds, cylinder firing, etc. all have affects on spool up too... I'm not taking away from that. Just trying to get the basics out there.

We have to stop mucking this thread up, let's take it to another section.

OP, my apologies. GLWB

Latest posts

Members online