99 7.3 F350 exhaust smell low boost.

hoosierstroker

Reaction score
I've noticed I'm picking up a diesel smell in the truck through the fan and hardcore smell at high idle.

My boost seems low around 5psi. Back pressure is at around 37psi...

Seems like something is wrong am I right in my assumption?

Armed Gunman

hoosierstroker

Reaction score
c1961c032084ae856be93715d0dedd36.jpg

Armed Gunman

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
is it a unburnt diesel smell or more like a rich exhaust smell? you either have a fuel leak or a severe exhaust leak.

live life full throttle

ja_cain

Reaction score
Let's think about this for a second. Your exhaust back pressure is extremely high with low boost. You have an overpowering exhaust smell. I would check for sticking EBPV first. This would facilitate leaky up pipes if it wasn't opening up when you give the truck throttle. Does it have a funny air leak sound when driving it? It's pretty easy to differentiate between a valve that is open and one that is closed. You should be able to see with the mirror whether or not it is sticking. It shouldn't be closing down on a warmer day. I swear this is what caused my up pipes to start leaking. I think it started to stick and that pressure has to go somewhere especially when you start giving it the go juice.

hoosierstroker

Reaction score
In theory could I disconnect the actuator and open the valve manually and leave it open?

Armed Gunman

ja_cain

Reaction score
Yup. Also make sure that your compressor wheel spins freely. You can remove the intake right at the turbo inlet to do this. If it spins freely then I would say EBPV or your exhaust is plugged somewhere but my money is on the EBPV.

hoosierstroker

Reaction score
Easiest way to disconnect ebpv? It's currently my daily driver and I have to keep it running

Armed Gunman

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
c1961c032084ae856be93715d0dedd36.jpg

Armed Gunman
is this at idle?
Yup. Also make sure that your compressor wheel spins freely. You can remove the intake right at the turbo inlet to do this. If it spins freely then I would say EBPV or your exhaust is plugged somewhere but my money is on the EBPV.
depending on how long he lets it warm up it may be normal.
Easiest way to disconnect ebpv? It's currently my daily driver and I have to keep it running

Armed Gunman
never mentioned if it goes away. does it snap out of it once eot gets higher than 150°? ja_cain is right that it could be a stuck ebpv but if it goes away after temps get up above 150 then you need to let it warm up longer before you drive it.

now if its constant then you have a stuck ebpv. reach under the intake spider and there will be a connector that you unplug then you will have to free tye valve by either pulling on the actuator rod or unhooking the exhaust and reachin in that way.... leaving it unplugged is ok.

live life full throttle

ja_cain

Reaction score
It's 72 outside, oil temp is 139 and it's idling. EBP 37 psi (23 for gauge pressure) and map is at atmosphere. That is my EBP at idle when it's cold out and EBPV is engaged. I don't think it should be engaged/actuated at those conditions. Not real familiar with the nuances of the system though.

hoosierstroker

Reaction score
Sensor unplugged, valve pulled open.... It was stuck.

Couldn't blindly unhook the actuator arm though 😒

8bcb1405ab0aeb3b882f281a87b09dc3.jpg

Armed Gunman

Latest posts

Members online