A FREE MOD FOR YOUR YPIPE, FROM:MTW

madpowerstroke

Reaction score
Hello, members, I had a chance to get my ypipe out and took a good look at it. I figured a way to do a very nice and cheap mod that gains results. I posted on a different site and now posting on this one also. I want all 6.0 powerstrokes and shops to see and try the mod. On the other site I got slammed alittle because of me saying that it will reduce backpressure, increase spool(less lag) and lower egt's( not huge amount maybe 25-50degrees). I didn't provide any data to support the claims, the reason I don't have any data is simply because for one it is a proven 101 hot rod trick that reducing restriction and improving air flow will give you all the benifits I listed. The other reason is that I'm not selling this mod I'm sharing info and method for anyone to do it, so why do I have to spend money on flow bench to provide any data.

Anyone can accomplish this mod or have any shop do it, and gain results, I'm sharing the mod to help the 6.0 powerstrokes become better, and it's such a easy mod that it wouldn't worth selling it. The mod I have done in under 1 hour, and for my own experiences have seen a nice difference, and so will anyone else. The mod will benifit anyone with stock turbo tuning to a highly modified truck, and like I stated before it's cheap, cost is very low, not like buying or building a set of ypipes to get just about same results.

The mod itself is simple, if you get a ypipe you will noticed that on the inside of the colletor where pipes meet there is actually a 90 degree dam due to the collector shape. One one side it blocks the pipe about 1/4 -1/2 inch on other side it's about 1/2-3/4. That amount of exhaust gasses being forced to hit the 90 degree and then deflect towards center to cause turbulence to the exhaust gasses driving straight to the center. By smoothing and getting rid of the restriction the outter gasses now flow right into collector and the turbulence is now gone. The flow of exhaust gasses now have been allow to go right in the turbo to provide the muscle. I'm just explaining for members to understand, I know that the shops and vendors know all this stuff.

I also don't know if anyone has ever done this mod or figured before me, but I just wanted to share it with everyone. I figure the mod on my own and didn't research to see if anyone else had done it before. Here are some pictures before and after to get an idea of what I did, and what to do. Thanks and hope this helps everyone with a 6.0 powerstroke. I also want to thank Dale for using some of his pictures they are better than mine, he took them as he was trying the mod on his truck.
ypipe%20514.jpg

ypipe%20519.jpg

ypipe%20535.jpg

ypipe%20543.jpg

More pics next reply::

Breaking Habits

Reaction score
The mod will benifit anyone with stock turbo tuning to a highly modified truck, and like I stated before it's cheap, cost is very low, not like buying or building a set of ypipes to get just about same results.
:

Most people dont replace the Y Pipe to get performance, the factory Y pipe blows out and leaks because its a thin, piece of junk.

What your doing makes sense no though, good write up

Last edited:

little luke

Reaction score
Let me just see if I have this straight, your adding material to the outside of the y pipe then grinding down the inside to smooth out the airflow. Sorry, never really paid attention to the inside of the ypipe

madpowerstroke

Reaction score
Most people dont replace the Y Pipe to get performance, the factory Y pipe blows out and leaks because its a thin, piece of junk.

What your doing makes sense no though, good write up

Thanks. I have heard of guys making or buying y pipe to improve flow that why I stated it. Yes I agree the factory y pipe could use alot of improvements, but it you have them out and replacing the bellows why not just take a little more time and mod the collector. Of course if you just go the route of replacing the whole thing with something better than the mod won't be used. Sharing a cheap mod like the zooda mod and some of the other out there that don't cost alot but anyone can do themselfs for a little gain.

Let me just see if I have this straight, your adding material to the outside of the y pipe then grinding down the inside to smooth out the airflow. Sorry, never really paid attention to the inside of the ypipe

Yes, by adding material to the outside than it allows you to port the inside of the pipe to get rid of the restriction. Sounds backwards but when you have the pipes in your hands you will see what I'm taking about. The way the pipe comes into the sides makes a inward hump by adding material you can get rid of the inward hump by grinding into the extra material you just added. I was first thinking about welding a piece of material to make shape but then added material was faster and easier.

Dieselcraft

Reaction score
I hate to be like this butt dang your threads are so long and drawn out.
Your replys are the same.
Good idea but most people end up buying upgraded y pipes
Like jarred said the stock bellows are junk.

I bought Elete up pipes then mpd manifolds & divided up pipes t4 flange.

want to see a difference buy a custom built set from a vendor

what a mess

Reaction score
not everyone has funny money but they are trying to make there truck run as strong as they can so threads like this are great for guys who dont have a grand to spend and a set of pipes so why would you post a comment like that heh just trien to be an ass or what who know i think its great hes sharing this its easy and free minus a little time and wire heh wtf great write up!

kyle43335

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
i have done that years ago. i does help spool up. throw a heavy set of bellows on as well,and you have a nice decent flowing piece.

Sniper32

Reaction score
Itd be nice if Strokers Unlimited Could add this to the procedure when they do their coating....hint hint
ADAM are you Listening!!??

madpowerstroke

Reaction score
I hate to be like this butt dang your threads are so long and drawn out.
Your replys are the same.
Good idea but most people end up buying upgraded y pipes
Like jarred said the stock bellows are junk.

I bought Elete up pipes then mpd manifolds & divided up pipes t4 flange.

want to see a difference buy a custom built set from a vendor

That's O.K., It was drawn out to try to get the info right. But I thought reply was short and sweet. Hell I would put you a sleep when I tell stories, wife tells me that all the time. She tells me you are too detailed just get to the meat of the story and move on.
Sure the I'm not perfect for sure I have a long list mental problems, dyslexia, OCD, just to list a few. That's right Adrian on monk and I are a little alike, sorry just the way I'm wired. I'll try to keep things shorter, thanks for bring it to my attention.

amarillo250

Reaction score
just my 02cents here, Mad you came up with some real nice and not to expensive mods for our trucks, gave us some real nice options and you stay a decent guy. I think you need some more mental problems, so you can have even more of those great ideas for us 6ohs and get and keep them going strong. Thanks for all the good work and saving money.

Extended Power

Reaction score
Biggest problem when you do the welding is keeping the heat low enough not to warp the vband connector flange. (instant exhaust leak, no matter how tight you get the vband.)

Only fix was to replace the entire y pipe.

For the amount of time it took to take it off, weld, grind the inside down to have the perfect flow pattern, reinstall, and then find out the flange was warped...and the replace it...then start all over again...not worth the headache.

That's why I'm looking for a divided pipe with a T3 flange setup now...

Good write up...too long though lol.

madpowerstroke

Reaction score
Biggest problem when you do the welding is keeping the heat low enough not to warp the vband connector flange. (instant exhaust leak, no matter how tight you get the vband.)

Only fix was to replace the entire y pipe.

For the amount of time it took to take it off, weld, grind the inside down to have the perfect flow pattern, reinstall, and then find out the flange was warped...and the replace it...then start all over again...not worth the headache.

That's why I'm looking for a divided pipe with a T3 flange setup now...

Good write up...too long though lol.

I agree that heat needs to stay low so nothing warps. I used gas, and mig and didn't have any problems of warping. I did run a bead and then went to other side then cooled between beads. I didn't ge any warpage, I would have put that in orginal write up but I didn't want it too long and drawn out.....lol

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.