Add a leaf?

dadada

Reaction score
Had a shop install a 2" add a leaf to the front of my truck. The position they put the add a leaf in has me scratching my head. Shortest leaf on the bottom, then the next longest, then my add a leaf. What has me questioning the work is that the leaf under the add a leaf is longer. Also the clamps holding my leafs together have been moved. Is this ok?

heavydoc

Reaction score
Had a shop install a 2" add a leaf to the front of my truck. The position they put the add a leaf in has me scratching my head. Shortest leaf on the bottom, then the next longest, then my add a leaf. What has me questioning the work is that the leaf under the add a leaf is longer. Also the clamps holding my leafs together have been moved. Is this ok?
NOPE.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

dadada

Reaction score
Here it is! 20160902_211340.jpg

mikeeg02

Reaction score
The reason they did it that way, was so that they could heat up the factory spring alignment clamp(which is typically 1/4" material, and riveted to the leaf), add the leaf and close it back up. That way the leaves don't turn sideways. Aftermarket clamps are typically sheet metal, and rarely do the job well. So I can see why the shop did it that way.

That being said, leaf springs are supposed to work in a progressive nature, but what you have shouldn't cause an issue. The proper way would of been to have a longer add a leaf spring.

Edit: If you rely solely on the u bolts to hold your spring pack together. The springs will separate and twist.

Last edited:

IdahoF350

Reaction score
Where that clamp is, the leaf is still installed one leaf too high, and the clamp clearly aligns all the leafs so the clamp wouldn't need to be any different with them in the correct order.

I'd take it back to the shop, ask them nicely to correct the installation, and if they refuse, tell them it's a safety matter do a charge back through your bank, and get it done right somewhere else.

gnxtc2

Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong.....but it looks like there are 3 add-a-leafs to the front springs. The stock springs are the 2 uppers. How's the ride? What are trying to accomplish?

I would swap out the main springs to "X" codes and go from there or get some custom Deavers.

Billy T.
[email protected]

dadada

Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong.....but it looks like there are 3 add-a-leafs to the front springs. The stock springs are the 2 uppers. How's the ride? What are trying to accomplish?

I would swap out the main springs to "X" codes and go from there or get some custom Deavers.

Billy T.
[email protected]
They are 2" lift springs with an add a leaf. Truck rides really well. I'm going to take it back and get it done right.

powerjoke73

Reaction score
My truck had the add a leaf on it when I bought it. Best decision I ever made was to take it off and throw Bilsteins on. Rode ten times better.

I would take it back and have them rearrange to be safe.

mikeeg02

Reaction score
They are 2" lift springs with an add a leaf. Truck rides really well. I'm going to take it back and get it done right.

You do realize that in order to do that with what you have provided them, they will either need to cut the spring you provided, or cut off the OEM clamp and go to the sheet metal type (if they even have them there)?

I'm not saying the sheet metal type wont work at all, just want to make sure you understand what you will be asking them to do.

dadada

Reaction score
You do realize that in order to do that with what you have provided them, they will either need to cut the spring you provided, or cut off the OEM clamp and go to the sheet metal type (if they even have them there)?

I'm not saying the sheet metal type wont work at all, just want to make sure you understand what you will be asking them to do.

I think that is why they mounted the springs the way they did, so that they could be clamped.

Arisley

Reaction score

Billy T.
[email protected]

This is the way it should have been done. Any other way is the wrong way.

dadada

Reaction score
What would a front x code spring with a 2" add a leaf be equivalent to in a suspension lift?

dadada

Reaction score
What code leaf spring with a 2 inch add a leaf would give me a 4 inch lift in the front.

psduser1

Reaction score
I think set of x codes, and 3" drop brackets from pmf, obswiz, etc will get you close, and have a pretty decent ride. Right around 8 bills, give or take.
I think if you pm Cary at ctperformance, or Trevor at pmf, they could line you right out.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.