aftermarket intercooler

GotStroke

Reaction score
Not to derail but IMO if I could go back I would have done springs and pushrods when I had mine studded.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414300325.337763.jpg

Never raced mine just loaded bed headed home for the winter, Everything was cool as a cucumber temps wise and didnt break 1000 when I was pullin through Tehachapi Ca. Passing semis.....(BEFORE* Intercooler and Rad.) but I did exceeded the maximum EBP based on the photo above. I had been told that EBP would be fine unless raced..... So i didnt Check it because i wasnt close to WOT for only long enough to downshift. Wasn't racing didn't go WOT because charger, Z-max, turbos (mods in sig) were less than 1500 miles old. But that didnt matter. About 6 hrs later in the middle of the desert with 20* temps I was stuck 672 miles into the trip with no heat and still 1700 miles from home... No fun.

Not to scare anyone just my personal experience. Heard of many people that didnt and were fine, but my truck and the ones I've been around almost all of us have had problems minus the one who did springs and pushrods.

strokin08

Reaction score
No problem, thats what I'm wanting is people telling me what there opinions with what there running. I'm wanting to do one more mod just to get my truck more air and cool and really dont wanna touch it after. I want it safe and reliable. Now like I say I aint been in touch with this stuff for while but I see you got both turbo would that be why your EBP's are getting high are is it from the 71.

GotStroke

Reaction score
Forgot to mention when I was stuck in the desert I only had the 71 my 59 came in so late I had to put the truck together without it. And the EBP was higher because of that but again I was told not to worry. The 59 really helped but doesn't completely fix the issue but can't expect much better from a somewhat factory compound setup with no gate.

B585Ford

Reaction score
No problem, thats what I'm wanting is people telling me what there opinions with what there running. I'm wanting to do one more mod just to get my truck more air and cool and really dont wanna touch it after. I want it safe and reliable. Now like I say I aint been in touch with this stuff for while but I see you got both turbo would that be why your EBP's are getting high are is it from the 71.

The 59 should help keep the EBPs lower.

strokin08

Reaction score
Well do y'all think or has anybody ran a intercooler along with stock turbos? Was there any gain from it? Still undecided about 71 but dont wanna go back into again. Closest place to me that does diesel work that knows anything about them is three hrs away from me.

B585Ford

Reaction score
Well do y'all think or has anybody ran a intercooler along with stock turbos? Was there any gain from it? Still undecided about 71 but dont wanna go back into again. Closest place to me that does diesel work that knows anything about them is three hrs away from me.

I cant give you any direct help on that one....when I bought the truck it already had the Speraco IC with stock turbos but I never got to see what it was like with the factory IC. A couple of guys said they did appreciate the difference when they swapped the IC with stock turbos. Diesel23 is one of the guys I can remember off the top of my head.

strokin08

Reaction score
Sorry if I seem to be asking same questions over and over I have reread the thread and some are saying go with 71 or 72 and be done and some are saying intercooler seems to be good but I believe and I could be wrong but most are with non stock setups and before I drop money I wanted to see. You said earlier in thread dont compare cause most have bigger setups and i agree. I didn't to valves and push rods when I was in wished I would have now but dont wanna have to go back into it again. Some do fine with no issues and some here have had problems and I dont wanna be one of them. I appreciate the help from everyone that has answered cause y'all know more than I do and in my area idk if anybody else fools with this stuff around here so phone and this is all the resources I got.

LovinPSDs

Reaction score
Here's the thing.. Both an Intercooler & a drop in are going to help. Take a step back and evaluate your goals maybe. If safe reliable power is the goal, I'd to ALLLLL the airflow mods

Intercooler, 6.0 Manis/Up-pipes, ported intake manifold

Before I did a drop in. This may not be as gratifying in the power and HP department, but to me it would give me a better feeling than the drop in turbos. Also you don't have to worry about those specific mods failing, and they are good mods to have no matter how far you want to push a turbo or fuel setup.

Maybe I'm just imagining this, but it seems that there has been an alarm rate of drop in/bigger turbo failures as of late also.

The airflow mods are a better "peace of mind" with some extra power, the drop in will yield more power with some additional inherent risk.

Last edited:

tbsimmons

Reaction score
I have stock turbos.
I have only read what an atmosphere will do and I am going to do one sooner or later.
The reason I have not, my truck is an animal with the stock ones. Like posted above going over the same hills with the same size trailer I downshift if I am running the tow tune, and dont downshift if I run the street tune running at or above the speed limit. EGT's are never a problem. Gearing is a wonderful thing, I have 4.88's. The reason I dont run the street tune and run the tow tune now is the truck doesnt downshift unless I slow down and the TC is not very happy with me, it starts to slip some. The grade spoke about above is no joke. It will work a truck. Semi trucks if loaded are down to the 40 range before the top if not lower.
Do some have problems with valve train, yes. But in my opinion a lot has to do with tuning.
The reason I said not to compare your temps with non-stock is a few reasons below:
1 - RPM plays a HUGE role in ECT and EOT more so than the tune, unless you are towing with it floored with a race tune, then yes have your head examined.
2 - Having aftermarket turbos (If sized right like the 71 or 72) will cool the EGT's. You are in the more efficient area of the turbo than with stock ones. Ex. Me at 45 PSI is not the same as the one with a 72 at 45 PSI (More flow out of the 72 so not apples to apples but I think you get the point) I am out of the efficient range and building a bunch of heat. More heat, more the intercooler has to cool. Remove more heat from the intercooler the radiator gets slammed with hotter air. Temp difference across the radiator is not as high so the removal of heat is less.
3 - Ambient plays a huge roll. 95 degrees and 10% humidity is harder on a truck than say 90 at 80%. Think of it like swamp cooler or driving in the rain. It cools much more because of the water.
So does an aftermarket intercooler work on stock turbo trucks, yes.
The only way to benefit though is if the truck is used for a truck and not a grocery getter. Towing 6000# is not even working these trucks though. If you do one on a grocery getter then it is just a bling factor. The biggest drop after the intercooler was towing pretty heavy over steep grades like described above. Normal flat ground with mole hills didnt really notice that much of a difference. I am sure I had some drop but it is hard to tell without a bunch of sensors. Tow heavy the intercooler shines. Dropped my EGT's approx. 200 over the hills. I used to hit 1250 pretty easy (If I remember right, it has been a while) now it is hard for me to hit 1050. Trip last weekend over the hill spoke about above I was in the range of 1000 the entire pull dont really watch EGT anymore because it doenst get hot. Wasnt on it too hard but still passing truckers with a wave.
Here is the trailer at Willow Springs. Willow is a little after the grade spoke about above. Actually a steeper one is between that grade a Willow. It is the hardest pull I have been on.
10477346_779568182089738_7896214632513499349_n.jpg

Last edited:

strokin08

Reaction score
First off nice 5th wheel and I didn't realize you still had stock turbos. Both y'all made good points. I never will race or pull sled probably. I daily drive and most of time its with a trailer behind it. Two heaviest trailer are a 17k 5th wheel and a 32ft pull behind race trailer loaded with car and tools. I run spartan tuning and run 210 tune most of one. I'm going on trip this weekend pulling small trailer and will swap to 300 just for fuel mileage and thats it just for y'all to see how my truck is driven. So I'm like you if I use my truck like this then an intercooler will be a good mod for starters for me. I'm looking for something to help cool things down and keep motor happy for a long time.Thats why I asked to make sure for what i use my truck for it will be a good upgrade. This is a quick easy thing to Change out and later on if cab comes back off do other airs mods said. And I do have no limit fabs cac pipe and elbow already installed.

tbsimmons

Reaction score
Thanks, the trailer is a tall ass pig. Reason for the dually, 4000+# pin weight.
Intercooler would help you with those loads if you have some good grades around you tow over. Where I live I could not tow on a 300 tune. I dont know much about Spartan but a lot of people like it. Just be careful. I have towed about 8000 on X-Street and thats 285. Throttle was just too touchy for me. If the 300 is like the X-Mild from Innovative I love that tune. Very progressive on the throttle.

strokin08

Reaction score
Yeah there is a long stretch of road I tow a lot on its up and down for about twenty miles nothing real long but its long enough to have my boost gauge on my dash almost topped out for a few minutes. I dont use dash daq like I should when I tow. Thats where I believe it will shine and in mountains of course. The trailer this weekend I'm towing on 300 is about 16 ft open trailer with some four wheelers on it so its light. I never ran any other tunes beside spartan so idk. Its got a lot of bottom end power to me and has good shifting. Throttle is not sensitive so makes a good drivable tune.

Reaction score
If you don't want to pull the turbos. I would go with a quality intercooler (spearco, afe, alradco), cold side pipe and elbow (no-limit) and good cold air intake (no-limit) and full 4" downpipe. I also have a no-limit intercooler for sale that a customer backed out on. Get a hold of me if any of that interests you and I can take care of you with a package deal.

strokin08

Reaction score
I was looking at my intercooler today and my truck is 08 job 1 and I have a cooler attached to the driver side of my intercooler. I dont know what that Cooler is but in pictures of other truck installing intercooler didn't see it so didn't know how it would effect install.

strokin08

Reaction score
Ok thanks. I run a banks cai. When trucks started coming out they said only a few would work without throwing code so thats why I'm with this thing. Never had a filter minder move or any problem with it dont get me wrong. But going from it to the no limit setup would that really be worth the money spent with stock turbos. And thought about removing lid didn't know if that would help