Aftermarket valve spring discussion

jwlandry

Reaction score
Second,.............................the Go Go springs are starting to look better and better. (Yea, the ones I was questioning awhile back)

Good to hear then. Glad to know you had a change of heart.

FWIW, Ill be running the new GoGo springs when ever my motor is done.

TrailerHauler

Reaction score
Good info Jason, this is why I like these kind of threads and discussion. They are great when taken as a whole, and used to gain knowledge and form an opinion. Rather then basing an opinion or decision on a single post for whatever narrow minded reason.

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
Its real hard to tell if its valve float from the video - but its a real good chance. I would be real curious to see a data log from when its happening - specifically of RPM and PW. Sometimes with long PW where the FDCS signal gets confused it can sound similar. Just food for thought.

Heard the same thing from my truck when I had some long PW tunes.

Homesteader

Reaction score
I've realized two things in this thread.

First is when talking to Dave I confused installed height with shim thickness.

Second,.............................the Go Go springs are starting to look better and better. (Yea, the ones I was questioning awhile back)

Are the Go Go springs,Comp Beehives?

woodduck97

Reaction score
Its real hard to tell if its valve float from the video - but its a real good chance. I would be real curious to see a data log from when its happening - specifically of RPM and PW. Sometimes with long PW where the FDCS signal gets confused it can sound similar. Just food for thought.

I have data logged with these certain tunes before and I had seen a max of around 7ms of PW.... :jawdrop: guess that probly was the problem then. Back when I was having problems with injector orings these tunes would make power becuase of the PW being so long compared to my current tuner.

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
What was PW at 3000 ICP, and 3000 RPM?

4ms is about the max under those conditions by the way, before the IDM signal starts freakin out.

woodduck97

Reaction score
What was PW at 3000 ICP, and 3000 RPM?

4ms is about the max under those conditions by the way, before the IDM signal starts freakin out.

I can't remeber it has been about 4 months or so and the info the computer was on crashed so I don't have the data log sheets.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
I have data logged with these certain tunes before and I had seen a max of around 7ms of PW.... :jawdrop: guess that probly was the problem then. Back when I was having problems with injector orings these tunes would make power becuase of the PW being so long compared to my current tuner.

Yep - I've got data logs with 7ms of PW from trying to figure out why an truck runs like crap. LOL Pop in a different chip with different tunes and its an animal at a max of 3ms. LOL It also holds better ICP to boot. I could have sold the guy a HPOP since that is what he really wanted.

golfer

Reaction score
pulsewidth viewed through the OBD2 port isn't actual PW at the injector...

tuning can actually be sending more or less than the displayed(scantool) PW to the injectors, since there are plenty of tuning tables which use multipliers/adders, etc to the true/commanded signal to the injs.

an oscilloscope is the only accurate measure of electrical pulsewidth...though injector build practices can & will affect the true, mechanical on time of the injector.

There is always mechanical delay...from the time that the signal is received by the solenoid, until the nozzle is opened (by the injection pressure). Changing the specifications around the armature can reduce or further lengthen the delay of the nozzles' opening.

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
I think most of can assume though, that the 4.98 of PW I was seeing through the OBD port in an "Eco" tune for instance, is a poor tune.

Right Dave?

Last edited:

golfer

Reaction score
I think most of can assume though, that the 4.98 of PW I was seeing through the OBD port in an "Eco" tune for instance, is a poor tune.

Right Dave?

no I wouldn't agree with that in any way.

your actual PW could EASILY have been half 1/3, or 10x that number...that's the point...

"PW" through the OBD2 port is useless. period

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
no I wouldn't agree with that in any way.

your actual PW could EASILY have been half 1/3, or 10x that number...that's the point...

"PW" through the OBD2 port is useless. period

Obviously I have not scoped any where near the number of trucks you guys have - but I have not experienced pulsewidth numbers that are more than say 20% away from what the OBDII port is telling me - and those numbers that were off were more like special cases where you would be making transitions - never anything steady state like say driving down the road. I also didn't scope the couple of trucks that I have had in here with REALLY long PWs in steady state operation - so I might have missed my opportunity to see it first hand.

woodduck97

Reaction score
Yep - I've got data logs with 7ms of PW from trying to figure out why an truck runs like crap. LOL Pop in a different chip with different tunes and its an animal at a max of 3ms. LOL It also holds better ICP to boot. I could have sold the guy a HPOP since that is what he really wanted.

Oh yeah I got my main chip in there and she moves out now with a good steady 3k ICP. The SRP1 was actually supporting those 7ms of PW with no problem.

Big Bore

Reaction score
Are the Go Go springs,Comp Beehives?

No they are not.

Interestingly the Comp beehives can be shimmed to have more seat pressure than the Go Go's. At 1.80 they have 185 lbs according to the pdf chart. At 1.85 they have 1.66, spring rate is 370. I'm liking that 1.85 height, so far, but the more I research valve springs, the less I know. Choupie what are the Go Go specs?

Big Bore

Reaction score
Doug's are 175 lbs of seat pressure.

He also has some available that are stiffer then that. 200 I think

Yea I knew what the seat pressure was, I was more wondering what the installed height, bind and spring rate was. I can't remember if it's in the other thread, and didnt see anything on Go Go's site.

Am I wrong in thinking taller installed height and shorter bind is better?

Max lift height on 26120 is 1.25. Max recommended install is 1.80@. Subtracting leaves .55 of travel. Does this correspond with cam lift?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.