Airdog Set Pressure

Newstroker

Reaction score
I have been doing some research about EDE's airdog upgrade for larger injectors. I am wondering if anyone has tried turning up the lift pump pressure to compensate?

I have a 2009 F350 with 30% over tips, stock HPFP, and Airdog II 165 still set at 10psi. I am contemplating doing the fuel bowl delete and upgrade, but I am wondering if there is an easier way to compensate till I have to remove the cab.

Thank you,

Paul

White_monster

Reaction score
Stock pump will not keep up with 30% nozzles. Stock pump can just barely maintain pressure with 15% nozzles and even then it doesn't always work. Also you will need the upgrade kit and a bigger hpfp. Best of luck.

09stroker

Reaction score
Yeah I got one off of switchmode so now I'm just trying to figure out which nozzles I can get away with.

pog

Reaction score
lol that pump probably almost has more shipping miles on it than actual driven miles

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
You don't want to go beyond 10 psi on the lift pump, anything beyond that will cause issues ( it even states in the Ford manual to not exceed 10 psi of feed pressure to the HPFP ). If anything you can get a bigger GPH pump if needed like a FASS 220 or similar.

09stroker

Reaction score
Awesome, that's what I'll go with. I've got all the pieces for a home brewed low pressure fuel system so that's covered.
Thanks guys.

Fast-6.0

Reaction score
You don't want to go beyond 10 psi on the lift pump, anything beyond that will cause issues ( it even states in the Ford manual to not exceed 10 psi of feed pressure to the HPFP ). If anything you can get a bigger GPH pump if needed like a FASS 220 or similar.

If I believed everything Ford said my truck would still have a dpf on it. Don't they say engine failure can occur with dpf removal.

We have successfully ran over 10psi on the HPFP for years now. My daily driver runs 20psi to the HPFP.

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
If I believed everything Ford said my truck would still have a dpf on it. Don't they say engine failure can occur with dpf removal.

We have successfully ran over 10psi on the HPFP for years now. My daily driver runs 20psi to the HPFP.

Your truck your choice, I'm just going off the Ford tech manual.

Newstroker

Reaction score
Wow, a lot of great info! I will do some testing this weekend but I know my spartan 275 tune holds full rail pressure. I wil test higher tunes this weekend.

tensixniner

Reaction score
There are a couple interesting threads in the Pureflow Airdog vendor section of CompD that discuss flow ratings, pressures and filters for the DF-165 pump.

Basically ...
- A higher pressure setting will get you less flow.
- Airdog filters are not rated as good at filtering vs. Ford/Racor factory filters.
- There are other replacement filters for the Airdog (Baldwin/Donaldson) that are much better at filtering and rated at higher flow rates vs Airdog brand filters and the factory Ford/Racor setup.
- 165 GPH is at 0 PSI but none of the replacement filters are rated at 165 GPH anyway.

IBSTROKIN

Reaction score
I tried turning mine up and my truck ran like crap. It was surging like crazy at idle. That's with stock hpfp and injectors. Didn't seem healthy so I turned it back down.

Newstroker

Reaction score
There are a couple interesting threads in the Pureflow Airdog vendor section of CompD that discuss flow ratings, pressures and filters for the DF-165 pump.

Basically ...
- A higher pressure setting will get you less flow.
- Airdog filters are not rated as good at filtering vs. Ford/Racor factory filters.
- There are other replacement filters for the Airdog (Baldwin/Donaldson) that are much better at filtering and rated at higher flow rates vs Airdog brand filters and the factory Ford/Racor setup.
- 165 GPH is at 0 PSI but none of the replacement filters are rated at 165 GPH anyway.

That is wild that u get less flow with more psi. Can u elaborate on why?

pog

Reaction score
The way I made sense of the whole increase psi decrease flow is like this, think of a garden hose with no tip, water is pouring out. Now put your thumb in front of it, the pressure is increased but amt flowing is decreased. I may be totally wrong but that's how I understand it lol

Newstroker

Reaction score
The more pressure, the more resistance.

Agreed about the frictional losses in the hoses. I am shocked that at 10psi you get the most flow. Usually there are diminishing returns and greater inefficiencies but you still get and increase in flow with additional pressure.

Latest posts

Members online