Alignment issues after lift

Musclemckeester

Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if the geometry is wrong, wouldn't something with the alignment be off too? My numbers are all good, its literally just the steering wheel that is off still.
Its going on 2k miles and I drive highway speeds to and from work daily. Nothing else seems off or out of the ordinary.

Big Stroker 6.4

Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if the geometry is wrong, wouldn't something with the alignment be off too? My numbers are all good, its literally just the steering wheel that is off still.
Its going on 2k miles and I drive highway speeds to and from work daily. Nothing else seems off or out of the ordinary.

Nope, in your case this isn't an alignment issue. It's a geometry issue. When both your drag link and track bar angles are where they were in stock form, during compression or decompression of your front suspension, your drag link and track bar move in a gentle arch together, in unison. When you raise or lower one of either of the ends, your drag link and track bar arches no longer match each other. Thus causing all sorts of issues, but the main one is safety, death wobble is no joke. And your truck has the blueprint for it. Also, I'm not saying that this is what's causing your issue, because you might have something else going on here too.

Big Stroker 6.4

Reaction score
You could do that pitman arm, it's kinda multi use thou for a 3-6" lift? If it was me I'd call around first and see if you could find one to match exactly 3" or whatever your track bar bracket drop is. Also, if your not going any higher, you get an adjustable icon trac bar and mount your stock trac bar bracket back on.

Stroked777

Reaction score
If it's the steering wheel that's not centered when the wheels are straight then you need to adjust the drag link. What I did in my old truck was drive straight in the driveway, and turned the truck off and adjust the drag link til the wheel was straight inside

Zmann

Reaction score
He stated that the steering wheel center actually changes so that would indicate something is shifting or there is a lot of play in the gear box

Musclemckeester

Reaction score
I guess its time to get an adjustable track bar. Looking at Rough Country's website they don't include the pitman arm drop until a 4.5" lift.

Zman is correct, the steering wheel center changes when I make a left turn and corrects itself when I make a right turn. So long as I keep making right turns the steering wheel stays straight until a left turn is made. The truck tracks like it should no matter how the orientation of the steering wheel is.

Zmann

Reaction score
you only only only need an adjustable trac bar if you need to center your front axle under your truck

and only if you have used the proper brackets to try and align the trac bar and drag link to parallel with each other

using a drop pitman arm thats more drop than your lift can create interference issues

Last edited:

Zmann

Reaction score
maybe ?

i just do a visual

I had trevor with PMF look at mine when I was going to buy an adjustable and He said I didn't need one

my axle was shifted 1/2 inch = no big deal

and the parallel looked off but he told me to use the line from the upper trac bar mount to the ball joint center line
then compare to the drag link when using that method mine was ok

Big Stroker 6.4

Reaction score
I guess its time to get an adjustable track bar. Looking at Rough Country's website they don't include the pitman arm drop until a 4.5" lift.

Zman is correct, the steering wheel center changes when I make a left turn and corrects itself when I make a right turn. So long as I keep making right turns the steering wheel stays straight until a left turn is made. The truck tracks like it should no matter how the orientation of the steering wheel is.

Your linkage is binding, I'm certain this is why it's shifting all over. Don't let the peanut gallery confuse you. Like I said before, get yourself an adjustable trac bar with the stock track bar mount or get a drop pitman arm with the same amount of drop as your drop arm bracket. Btw, the draglink and trac bar are not supposed to be the exact same angle. The track bar is a couple more degrees steeper then the drag link because it is shorter.

Big Stroker 6.4

Reaction score
Here's a good pic of what an ideal drag link and trac bar should look like.

image_zps1236f9ab.jpg

Zmann

Reaction score
speaking of peanut gallery which if u had not noticed your trying to be the self appointed president of

however the benefit of having multiple opinions is so you don't have to listen to one knowitall who may or may not be correct :shrug:

explain how an adjustable tracbar fixes his issue of a floating steering wheel center ?

depending on the adjustable trac bar chosen they just adjust the axles center line

so unless your going to specify one that relocates the axle mount to the top of the axle mount and trac bar /drag link alignment is indeed his issue ( not sayin it is since I have not seen it )
suggesting an adjustable tracbar is a potential waste of money

Big Stroker 6.4

Reaction score
LOL:thumbsup:
speaking of peanut gallery which if u had not noticed your trying to be the self appointed president of

however the benefit of having multiple opinions is so you don't have to listen to one knowitall who may or may not be correct :shrug:

explain how an adjustable tracbar fixes his issue of a floating steering wheel center ?

depending on the adjustable trac bar chosen they just adjust the axles center line

so unless your going to specify one that relocates the axle mount to the top of the axle mount and trac bar /drag link alignment is indeed his issue ( not sayin it is since I have not seen it )
suggesting an adjustable tracbar is a potential waste of money

LOL Reading and understanding not your thing??? Ive gone into great detail to help the OP with his truck, Ive pointed out a clear problem with his setup.
As for being a no it all, I have personally over 15 years experience as a heavy duty mechanic and I still consider myself to be student of the game. I am part owner and shopforman of a 10000 sqft shop where Ive worked along side my father, older brother and grandpa that speciallizes in this very field.. But ya, what do I know. Im sure your internet knowledge surpases any and all my expierience.

Musclemckeester

Reaction score
I appreciate the help guys. A track bar was on the list to do sooner or later, so I'll just bump it up and take care of it now. No sense in taking unnecessary risks.

There is an Icon track bar for sale in the classifieds that's local that I can hopefully pick up and save some money.

Zmann

Reaction score
if u must get a trac bar you best be careful

Icon had some previous versions that had issues with the end make sure it has the update or you may add another 100 bucks to fix it http://iconvehicledynamics.com/shop...rod-end-upgrade-kit-for-icon-pan-rod-bar.html

and not all types will work with a minimal lift without binding so check that it will work with yours

I gathered the above information from reading and understanding various threads
and emails with suppliers and real life wrenching on these light duty trucks not "heavy duty equipment" however I dabbled in that field and it bored Me LOL

also not pretending to be an expert on your issue over the internet without hands on ;-)

you might talk to Trevor at PMF (precision metal fab ) He offers multiple trac bars for different applications and will help you atleast decide if you can just use a fixed trac bar , angled.straight etc

Last edited:

Zmann

Reaction score
they have 2 end versions now I think bushing and heim

the only time you would want to buy an adjustable vs fixed when replacing a trac bar
is if you were going to adjust height later
otherwise if your axle is centered they only add cost and fail points IMHO

Big Stroker 6.4

Reaction score
I appreciate the help guys. A track bar was on the list to do sooner or later, so I'll just bump it up and take care of it now. No sense in taking unnecessary risks.

There is an Icon track bar for sale in the classifieds that's local that I can hopefully pick up and save some money.

Good to here, keep us posted on this. Goodluck man!

Latest posts

Members online