All over the place...(8" and 37s). Help

mclean

Reaction score
Just put an 8" lift 4-link and 37s on and got it all aligned yesterday and now it rides way way way more rough since the alignment. Before it was "aligned" i put about 300miles on it and got a few compliments on how smooth it was for such a big lift and now i don't even want to drive across town because it is so rough. Any ideas?

Also, when I am cornering, and hit a bump, its like the pitman arm is slipping on the splines or something. The steering wheel "jumps a notch" it feels like. Is that possible or would it be something else?

PS I am very green when it comes to lifts and suspension so I'll take all the advice there is to offer

jdgleason

Reaction score
Seems like they messed up your alignment. And the feeling you are getting kinda sounds like death wobble. I would take it back to them and have them redo it.

Layson

Reaction score
doesn't wobble tho, the wheel will be straight, i hit a bump, its off about 10* and then i hit another bump down the road and its straight again haha.

Damn I would stop driving it till you get it figured out. That is some serious Bump steer...

What are the details on the kit? Any pictures?

fbilly420

Reaction score
doesn't wobble tho, the wheel will be straight, i hit a bump, its off about 10* and then i hit another bump down the road and its straight again haha.

Sounds like the alignment shop left something loose. I would take it back ASAP.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
If they took the drop bracket off or something stupid like that i suppose it could have such severe bump steer that it could ride bad...

Erikclaw

Reaction score
When I did my 4 link 8" lift I had similar problems. My steering wheel didn't move though, that is worrisome. My truck was all over the road, change lanes and it was hard to keep it from driving off the shoulder. Passing was a scary proposition, so was anything over 75mph on a rough road. After two different alignment shops took it to a third and holly sh!t, both shops didn't notice the toe was an inch off! Take it somewhere else and see what they say.

mclean

Reaction score
When I did my 4 link 8" lift I had similar problems. My steering wheel didn't move though, that is worrisome. My truck was all over the road, change lanes and it was hard to keep it from driving off the shoulder. Passing was a scary proposition, so was anything over 75mph on a rough road. After two different alignment shops took it to a third and holly sh!t, both shops didn't notice the toe was an inch off! Take it somewhere else and see what they say.

Yeah that's exactly what im thinking, toe is off and he had issues with the traction bars (pretty sure its dog walking) so im trying a different shop tomorrow.

As far as the steering, gonna pull the pitman arm off, check the splines and retorque it.

Erikclaw

Reaction score
Tighten the dog sh!t out of the pitman arm. When I had to have a steering box replaced by the time I got the truck back home it was loose. 4 hr drive. Had the same issue when I put on the lift, check it once a day until it stays tight.

mclean

Reaction score
i know my friend (350ish lbs) was hanging off the 3/4" ratchet when we put it on there and i went to just give it a little tighten today with a wrench and nudged the nut and it was finger tight...we tightened the shiznit out of it again this morning and ill check it tomorrow once its back from its alignment.

Thanks for the tip

Dzchey21

Reaction score
im pretty sure the torque spec is 350 lbft

I hit mine with a 3/4 impact (new snap on) so its tight as ***

florida 6.0

Reaction score
3/4 impact and thread locker ! The last time I had a steering wheel change positions like that it was because me steering box had a cracked sector shaft.Chased it for a week and never found it . Luckily it broke in a parking lot and not at speed .

Erikclaw

Reaction score
That could have been bad news!
I have a wrench that fits, about three feet long...it does the job.

07_powerstroke

Reaction score
As far as the ride it is called "rough country" and the product def fits its name! i was sooooo pissed when i drove my dodge after i put one of them lifts in my truck i traded it for the for i have now...But it was my fault i bought a cheap lift.

Latest posts