Allison

NathannialD

Reaction score
in my personal experience with doing a swap like this it is a total waste of time and money. they shift like crap, plus nothing is really gained from it.

Twan

Reaction score
I would be after the better gear ratio and extra over drive. I think it would be sweet.

Just not sure if it would ever work right.

JAP

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
You should do it. I've never actually heard of anyone doing it, but how will we know if it never gets done. While you're at it, I heard the 6.5 Turbo gets better mileage than a 6.0. Probably be a good option for a motor swap.

Twan

Reaction score
You should do it. I've never actually heard of anyone doing it, but how will we know if it never gets done. While you're at it, I heard the 6.5 Turbo gets better mileage than a 6.0. Probably be a good option for a motor swap.

If I wanted fuel mileage I would buy a car. LOL.

I'm happy with my 4-19.

When (if) my trany let's go I will. If I can swap the 6 speed in.
Last time I talked to a guy about getting it done I could only do the 5 speed.

NathannialD

Reaction score
as long as you are fine with spending a ton of cash, fine with either sloppy or hammering shifts, loosing t/h i say go for it. plus to get 6th gear you have to jump through hoops or pay $2k for the suncoast tcm and valve body.

I can see that you dont care what i have to say about it even though i have had quite a lot of experience with an allison in a ford truck. i was just trying to help.

OBS F350

Reaction score
as long as you are fine with spending a ton of cash, fine with either sloppy or hammering shifts, loosing t/h i say go for it. plus to get 6th gear you have to jump through hoops or pay $2k for the suncoast tcm and valve body.

I can see that you dont care what i have to say about it even though i have had quite a lot of experience with an allison in a ford truck. i was just trying to help.

You can lead a horse to water...

Twan

Reaction score

I do care, and thanks for taking the time to post and explain.
My last reptile was more of a smart ass to the other post about fuel mileage.

Again thanks. After hearing that I won't even look into that anymore. I'll just put a new 3-5 silanoid and trany pan on mine.

So the stand alone ECM doesn't controls the trany like the stock setup?

HeavyAssault

Reaction score
BWXn5L6IMAA3u6m.jpg

Radioflyer

Reaction score
When we tune trucks we leave the TCM's alone for a reason. They're like a teenage girl (no offense to any one who has a teenage daughter), they DON'T like being told what to do. Let alone, to build an Allison and swap it you'd be into it as much if not more than built 5r. Which to make it hold anything over say 500 (and last) your gonna have to build it. If it were my truck, I'd keep and build the 5r. If ya want a 6-speed and dont mind shifting, I'd throw a zf6 in there good clutch and let her eat. Nothing would convince me giving up my torque shift for a Allison. Just my .02

Twan

Reaction score

That's funny.

As fare as the gears I was just wanting the extra over drive so I could keep the rpms down with 4.10's and 35's and have the 4.49 vs my 2.88 reverse gear.

I have only had the allison is stock to 100hp over trucks. I didn't know they were that bad when turned up. Lol.

My 5r110 has taken a butt kicking for years, still strong.

Thanks guys.

OBS F350

Reaction score
That's funny.

As fare as the gears I was just wanting the extra over drive so I could keep the rpms down with 4.10's and 35's and have the 4.49 vs my 2.88 reverse gear.

I have only had the allison is stock to 100hp over trucks. I didn't know they were that bad when turned up. Lol.

My 5r110 has taken a butt kicking for years, still strong.

Thanks guys.

Everyone I know with duramax's with a stock trans will limp it on a +150hp tune. I'm sure there are some exceptions out there but from my experience they Dont like a whole lot of power over stock.

swinky

Reaction score
Saw tuned dmaxs running anywhere from 12.8 to 13.3 two weekends ago on the stock trans. But I've seen others limp on there way to what would've been a 14sec pass. They're finicky

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Twan

Reaction score
Ouch, that sucks. I'll have to show this to my duramax friends. Lol.

Now I'm glade I've left my 08 stock.

Radioflyer

Reaction score
We typically do a 130 over on the stock 6-speeds. You can go as high as you desire as long as a lift pump is on the truck. We've had trucks hold 150, just not very long. LOL

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Twan

Reaction score
We typically do a 130 over on the stock 6-speeds. You can go as high as you desire as long as a lift pump is on the truck. We've had trucks hold 150, just not very long. LOL

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Do you have any trouble with them on tow tunes pull heavy?

I'm at 227,000 miles pulls 75% of the time still on stock parts. Not sure if that's lucky or normal now. Lol.

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
you have one of the best automatic transmissions ever made in your truck... absolutely no reason to swap in a POS Allison! LOL

Stroked777

Reaction score
Allison's are junk. In stock form, with 100hp tune, a 5r will **** all over a Allison, reason being is an Allison barely holds anything over stock power

Latest posts

Members online