Alternator fire

qcfarmer

Reaction score
About two years ago my wife drove my 450 to work and as she pulled into the parking lot, she noticed smoke coming from under the hood. Turns out the bottom alternator burnt up. I changed both at that time and thought whatever, sh!t happens. This morning, I go to start my truck and notice a squealing sound coming from under the hood. As I get out of the cab I notice smoke so I shut the truck off. The smoke smelt electrical so I popped the hood and found my bottom alternator on fire once again. Bath times it has been the bottom one. Anyone else have this happen? Any ideas why this would happen again?

Viking

Reaction score
Well coming from industrial background with some electric motor and belts id say the belt could be too tight or at a weird angle that the bearings give out and you in-turn burn out your motor. In this case it is an alternator. If this is it, which my thoughts are, than this is a design flaw.

qcfarmer

Reaction score
Darn, I was too busy putting out the fire to take a picture. What was weird about this time is it was instant on start up.

Viking

Reaction score
Darn, I was too busy putting out the fire to take a picture. What was weird about this time is it was instant on start up.

I wonder if you put the upper one in the lower spot and a new one on the upper and log how long, or if, the bottom one goes. Seems like an issue because it is the bottom one again. How long was it before they started on fire?

qcfarmer

Reaction score
They aren't the same at all. This one was put on in September 2011.

Last edited:

qcfarmer

Reaction score
ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21363201190.233880.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21363201214.587327.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21363201260.528307.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk 21363201279.255328.jpg

qcfarmer

Reaction score
Unfortunately all the rebuilders up here are back order on the parts for this particular model so I ordered a new Denso unit... 475 bucks. When you say nut was loose, what nut exactly and why would that cause a fire?

Zmann

Reaction score
On mine it put the alt into full output intermittently as the cable bounced and made/ broke contact

this was a single alt App but if you look around you see the 6.4 dual having the same comment after an issue like you had

qcfarmer

Reaction score
If you look in the passenger wheel well, right in top of the frame. There is no protection from the front tire splashing crap onto it so I might have to fix that

JEEPSTER401

Reaction score
I just pulled one off tonight that burnt up. It melted the black plastic off of the alternator and you could see where it was smoldering between the fins. This one was a dead short inside. It didn't quit glowing red until I pulled the cables on the batteries.

Super08Duty

Reaction score
Sounds like its shorting out or there's too much resistance through the cables. I burnt up my alt when I relocated my batteries due to too much resistance.

qcfarmer

Reaction score
Turns out it was all corroded inside causing two leads to arc. I will definitely be covering up the wheel well to protect the alt.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.