Another ticking time bomb?

Reaction score
Long story short. 6.4 killed two injectors, washed down cylinders. Block was beyond .030 so got a used block bored it .020 over, ceramic coated delipped decked pistons, colt stage 2 cam, new rockers, gaskets, rings, seals etc. 2 sets of injectors sent out for testing, used the best 8. Used the old hpfp. Rebuild has about 8k on it now still ticks. Curious if this tick is here forever or if there is something wrong. The tick is almost only when engine is hot, but intermittent.
https://goo.gl/photos/8WjyJ1SHmcSrkg2E9

golfer

Reaction score
What lifters?

And if you reused the stock rods did anyone check the piston pin to pin bore fitment in the small end?

Sent from my DynaTAC

pdumont01

Reaction score
How bout lifters?? Seen a few make ticking noises.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Side action lifters. No excuse on the hpfp except the guy who built said he thought it was good yet. Would a bad hpfp cause such a noise? I thought of rods too but would it be intermittent? I'll ask builder if he checked the rod to piston clearance.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

pdumont01

Reaction score
I had a lifter make a sound like a midget in the block with a ball peen hammer at random. The customer brought it multiple times I never heard it so he made me drive it for a week and sure as chit I heard it, tore the engine down and it had a bad lifter and can, was able to save the block. I wondered how it wouldn't have made noise the whole time,...... I've never heard a hpp make a ticking noise, even when it was full of metal lol. What are side action lifters? A brand

Last edited:
Reaction score
Side Action Diesel. I think he sources them. Site sponsor.

co04cobra

Reaction score
I don't necessarily think the hpfp is the ticking problem. However, I do think reusing the hpfp is a ticking time bomb..

What were done to the heads?

Reaction score
The first set(job 1 overheated)were too cracked to use according to the cylinder head place local. I had another engine and he checked that set for cracks(magna?) and decked them I believe. He does the heads for the dealership in town. Not sure if that's good or bad. Lol

TyCorr

Reaction score
Its haaard to find a machinist around here. Which is odd with the amount of diesel trucks in the area.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Hmm... Someone who re uses a HPFP that was on a motor where it melted down...

You wouldn't happen to be in Indiana would ya?

Reaction score
Melted down? 235 on the temp gauge is melting? But no I'm from California.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
What do you think killed the injectors which in turn, washed down the cylinders? The HPFP. I agree it may not be your sound, but like stated, it's a matter of time before another injector sticks

Reaction score
Yea the truck will get a new hpfp hopefully before it goes.. How are the remans? Are there new hpfps available? Is it never poor fuel? Or poor fuel tanks the hpfp, ruining injectors? Truck holds rail pressure fine, and always has.

pdumont01

Reaction score
Usually if you are on top of fuel filter changes a bad delaminating tank can be caught before it does damage.

Reaction score
Bumping a really old thread. Truck is sold. What it turned out to be was the cam gear on the Colt cam. Builder didn't get it on properly. I should have asked first (I thought he knew) do you guys usually weld them? He said he didn't think that was the right way.. He's more oem style guy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

6.4f350

Reaction score
Bumping a really old thread. Truck is sold. What it turned out to be was the cam gear on the Colt cam. Builder didn't get it on properly. I should have asked first (I thought he knew) do you guys usually weld them? He said he didn't think that was the right way.. He's more oem style guy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

When I put mine on, I put the cam in the freezer for a day and stuck the gear in the oven at 450* for 30 minutes. The gear dropped right onto the cam and it only took about 5 seconds until you couldn't move it anymore. I can definitely see how it could get not seated properly, you don't have much time to get it on before it's stuck and you'd have to press it off again and freeze the cam for another day.

TyCorr

Reaction score
When I put mine on, I put the cam in the freezer for a day and stuck the gear in the oven at 450* for 30 minutes. The gear dropped right onto the cam and it only took about 5 seconds until you couldn't move it anymore. I can definitely see how it could get not seated properly, you don't have much time to get it on before it's stuck and you'd have to press it off again and freeze the cam for another day.

Thats a pretty clever way to take advantage of metallurgy

Latest posts

Members online