Any issues with welding nut to broken exhaust bolts

nvrsatisfied84

Reaction score
Hello I have an 08 f450 and the pass side rear manifold bolts snapped of so pulled all down and one stuck out of the block so was able to get out but other one is flush with head so I figured id weld a nut on and get is out as I've done on other trucks but my dad said it a big no no on these 6.4s said it fry computers dash and so on even with batteries disconnected so I figured id ask if any one had ever had any experience with this. thanks for any input

sonic blue l

Reaction score
I've welded cab bolts, broken bolts and never had a problem.

Now as for the manifold bolts I've rarely had luck welding. You can give it a shot but it's stainless steel bolts, they seem to just keep breaking past the weld. Ive had some that drill out nice and others that won't drill worth ****. I've even had some that just crystallized during drilling.

Have fun, some are easy and the next one will be a pain in the ass

White_monster

Reaction score
The Ford exhaust manifold bolts are some weird material. It's pretty easy to drill. They aren't stainless since they aren't magnetic and they surface rust too. I've had success with drilling a hole in the center and extracting that way. I've also drilled a hole till the bit touches the threads in the head then pull the remaining pieces out.

sonic blue l

Reaction score
stainless is not magnetic, it also rust but less then normal steel. put a magnet to your egr coolers for example. (there stainless)

Either way I hope he got them out.

nvrsatisfied84

Reaction score
I drilled it out and boy what a mess of a bolt drilled thru and tried extractors and all they did was mill the hole out every time like bolts were lead so kept reaming drilling till I got close to threads and picked material out until I was able to run a tap in to clean rest out anti-seized the crap out of new 10.9 bolt and hope never to have problem again but may get new bd diesel 6.0 malifod swap kit sooner or later wish I had seen it b4 put all back together

Latest posts

Members online