Anyone running a Banks Ottomind programmer?

RattlinFord

Reaction score
I recently got one of these for the low, low price of free...haven't been able to run it yet because my truck is awaiting a turbo rebuild...was just wondering if anyone had one and what y'all thought of them? How was power? Mileage? Smoke?

Some clarifications-
-I'm not looking to "roll coal", but a little smoke doesn't scare me
-I'm referring to the Ottomind, not the newer Automind
-I'm referring to the programmer, not the module.

Thanks all, just curious to see what I have to look "forward" to...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thuglike

Reaction score
It's worth EXACTLY what you paid for it. It would never go on my truck.
No clue who tuned it. What all the parameters are set to. What year it was tuned..Throw it away. Tuning has come a long way since those pieces of $hit were new. Call any tuner on here and do it right..the first time. Don't screw around with the single most important mod you'll do. It's a frustrating and expensive lesson to learn.

RattlinFord

Reaction score
Well, it's not permanent...being a diesel mechanic, I think I'm smart enough not to blow up my truck with a programmer...I was simply wanting feedback from people actually running them. I'd have never bought it, but I got a free gift, and in my experience Banks isn't the BEST, but it is better than nothing. I'd love to "do it right the first time", but I don't have "DIRTFT" money. This programmer isn't going to destroy my truck, and it can be removed. But thank you for your input anyhow.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
It's worth EXACTLY what you paid for it. It would never go on my truck.
No clue who tuned it. What all the parameters are set to. What year it was tuned..Throw it away. Tuning has come a long way since those pieces of $hit were new. Call any tuner on here and do it right..the first time. Don't screw around with the single most important mod you'll do. It's a frustrating and expensive lesson to learn.
well fuggin put!
Well, it's not permanent...being a diesel mechanic, I think I'm smart enough not to blow up my truck with a programmer...I was simply wanting feedback from people actually running them. I'd have never bought it, but I got a free gift, and in my experience Banks isn't the BEST, but it is better than nothing. I'd love to "do it right the first time", but I don't have "DIRTFT" money. This programmer isn't going to destroy my truck, and it can be removed. But thank you for your input anyhow.

thuggy is another guy you might want to listen to... just a fyi..

live life full throttle

RattlinFord

Reaction score
Well, crap. I thought I was getting ahead...guess my ass will still be stock. Thanks, I suppose.

thuglike

Reaction score
You are going to put a tune in your truck that is outdated 100 fold. Keep the truck stock and save up your money to get a chip and tunes from someone that actually does it for a living (tuning these trucks that is).
Your not going to get alot of feed back from people actually running them much in the same way not alot of people play Atari anymore.
But it's your truck....good luck

RattlinFord

Reaction score
I understand, and I appreciate it....just takes the wind out of my sails...I was hoping it would at least be good "for now".

thuglike

Reaction score
Well, crap. I thought I was getting ahead...guess my ass will still be stock. Thanks, I suppose.

Nothing wrong with that..look in the for sale section for a chip that will work on your rig or save up to buy new...YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT.

RattlinFord

Reaction score
Another question...does this programmer have to be unlocked? I got asked about it and I honestly don't know if it has or has not...like I said, my truck is awaiting a turbo rebuild, I've never needed it.

Arisley

Reaction score
Sell it for the same price you paid for it. Let someone else figure it out.

Better yet, take it off the market and throw it in the trash, after hitting it with a big hammer.

BIG lesson, it if sounds to good to be true, it probably is.

Dude, we have been trying to help you since you joined this forum. Listen.

bruce

Reaction score
If the previous owner put the tune back in it then it should be good to go. If not you'll need to call banks tech support.

RattlinFord

Reaction score
Arisley. Read higher. I DID listen. I want to know if it's vin locked to SELL IT. And thanks Bruce, that's what I needed to know!

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Arisley. Read higher. I DID listen. I want to know if it's vin locked to SELL IT. And thanks Bruce, that's what I needed to know!

you can listen to Arisley too.. theres a reason we all agree to get rid of it. i wouldnt sell something to someone knowing its not recommended.. id make a really bad salesman....

live life full throttle

Latest posts

Members online