At what point would a guy want billet connecting rods

carson

Reaction score
I will be getting a build on my engine soon and wasn't thinking of doing billet rods cause of the cost , and was I was gonna keep it on stock fuel to ever temp me to go bigger , I will be running rcd 72,59 set up . But as I see on here everyone eventually goes for more. Chances are I won't be going billet but a guy at work is trying to convince me ( cummins guy ) he doesn't know anything about Ford . But keeps saying I will regret it if I don't do it now . would really like your guys feed back . Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

madman1234509

Reaction score
Not with that set up. And especially not a concern really with stock fuel. Plenty of people with big power running stock rods. Not saying it's ideal, but it can be done. I've got over 10k miles on my build with stock rods. Its not like you can't do it down the road if you get into building something serious.

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
I will be getting a build on my engine soon and wasn't thinking of doing billet rods cause of the cost , and was I was gonna keep it on stock fuel to ever temp me to go bigger , I will be running rcd 72,59 set up . But as I see on here everyone eventually goes for more. Chances are I won't be going billet but a guy at work is trying to convince me ( cummins guy ) he doesn't know anything about Ford . But keeps saying I will regret it if I don't do it now . would really like your guys feed back . Thanks

Maybe this "Cummins" guy doesn't know what a stock 6.4 bottom end can hold? and we have one of the strongest factory buttom ends. LOL

Like stated above multiple guys on here making 1000 HP + on a factory 6.4 bottom end without any problems.

Is billet rods good insurance? Yes

but I wouldn't worry about it unless you ever plan on big fuel turbos major motor mods etc.

6.4f350

Reaction score
I bent a rod on stock fuel and chargers. Others have done the same. Then there's a bunch of trucks out there doing 7,8,900hp on them. Luck of the draw I guess.

madman1234509

Reaction score
I think the number of people who have had that happen is far far out numbered by the people who make more than stock turbo/fuel power with no issues. There are flaws with everything. Stock motors even throw rods, it can happen to any make/model engine. But realistically, for the power he is going to have they are not needed.

6.4f350

Reaction score
I agree. Just noting that it can and has happened. I'm putting stock rods back in my truck.

Jonnydime

Reaction score
I have a dd13 that needed an in frame at 250k and two others with 400k that are fine. Luck of the draw if you ask me.

ingrahams

Reaction score
If you can afford it I would do pistons, rods and a cam. You will always want more power, ask me how I know...
Jared can set you up with what you need at a great price.

madman1234509

Reaction score
I think that is the biggest thing..... He says stock fuel, but for how long. Are you the kind of person that is content with slightly bigger turbos and stock fuel, or are you the kind of person who will eventually go all out, like Stewart just mentioned.

carson

Reaction score
Well I am doing cam,Pistons, studs, push rods,valve springs , i bought the 72,59 right before my truck needed the build so i was gonna be happy with just running the 72,59. But now I'm on the fence of how much to do , rods are just so expensive. My truck is currently lifted with 37s never towed anything but was looking into getting a 30ft travel trailer ....If I keep at the 700hp range think I would be fine to skip the cost ?

Radioflyer

Reaction score
Well I am doing cam,Pistons, studs, push rods,valve springs , i bought the 72,59 right before my truck needed the build so i was gonna be happy with just running the 72,59. But now I'm on the fence of how much to do , rods are just so expensive. My truck is currently lifted with 37s never towed anything but was looking into getting a 30ft travel trailer ....If I keep at the 700hp range think I would be fine to skip the cost ?

Workstock turbos and big fuel make a lot of torque VERY early on. I feel you'd be safer in stock rods with non vgt compounds. Do the rods.

Jared hit the nail right on the head,
We deal with this with dmax's all the time with VGT compound kits. With what your looking to do with the truck and the setup you have, while you have it apart i'd add the extra insurance and throw a set of rods in it, call it good and enjoy your ride.

madman1234509

Reaction score
Dmax is a way different scenario then our trucks. And he hasn't mentioned anything about making it a race or pulling application.

Honestly. Why would you go as far as doing pistons and not replace the rods. Its a waste of time and money, especially if you have to go back in and do it all over again. I'd either skip the pistons and do neither, or do it all, it just doesn't make sense to me to pull the rods and pistons out, to replace the stock pistons that aren't hurt, but not do the rods. Its one thing if you crack/melt a piston and are just looking to get it back on the road.

On edit: Is your motor hurt or something? After re-reading you said you bought the 72/59 before it needed a build? If it needs pistons, then disregard what a stated above, go for it if you're looking I just get it back up and running. Just my opinion, I wouldn't replace pistons in a perfectly good motor unless I was doing rods as well.

Last edited:

weekendwarriorfsw32

Reaction score
Getting rid of the stock pistons that are very prone to cracking seems like a pretty good reason to me.

Dmax is a way different scenario then our trucks. And he hasn't mentioned anything about making it a race or pulling application.

Honestly. Why would you go as far as doing pistons and not replace the rods. Its a waste of time and money, especially if you have to go back in and do it all over again. I'd either skip the pistons and do neither, or do it all, it just doesn't make sense to me to pull the rods and pistons out, to replace the stock pistons that aren't hurt, but not do the rods. Its one thing if you crack/melt a piston and are just looking to get it back on the road.

On edit: Is your motor hurt or something? After re-reading you said you bought the 72/59 before it needed a build? If it needs pistons, then disregard what a stated above, go for it if you're looking I just get it back up and running. Just my opinion, I wouldn't replace pistons in a perfectly good motor unless I was doing rods as well.

B585Ford

Reaction score
Getting rid of the stock pistons that are very prone to cracking seems like a pretty good reason to me.

Personally, I tend to agree with you on this. Pistons aren't guaranteed to go on a 6.4 with 650+ HP, but their is a pretty decent risk that ultimately they will let go. On the other hand, rods letting go at that same power level is much less common. Sure it can (and does) happen, but at least in some cases it is due to an over-rev or excessive EBP resulting in kissing the piston. I agree with everyone that compounds with a VGT makes the risk the greatest. Finally,you could always pull some fuel down low to reduce the risk. If the funds are there, certainly I would do rods, but I understand trying to avoid the additional expense of rods. Ultimately, how the truck is used and driven and how much risk even willing to take will determine if rods are right for you.

madman1234509

Reaction score
Taking the entire engine apart just to do pistons isn't a simple task. To do it properly it all still needs to be balanced and what not. Why go through all of that trouble if you're not going to replace the biggest limiting factor to reliablility under power. I don't necessarily think pistons are a limiting factor when it comes to power levels. They "randomly" crack, but they don't seem to just fail above a certain level like youd expect rods to. And honestly more pistons probably fail from valve contact, excessive heat, or bad injectors then more people want to admit, or know because they aren't a diesel shop and do work themselves. I'll be the first person to admit, I'm not made of money, which prevents me from tearing down the motor all the way just to replace pistons that aren't hurt, and not build the entire engine. Like stated before, why not do rods if planning on going bigger? So if he does go bigger and wants to do rods in the future, he's going to pay for an entire engine build twice..... That's not a cheap or easy/overnight task. Idk, maybe my logic is hard to express over typing. I'm all about building it, but I try I keep budget and unnecessary spending in mind as well.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
I don't necessarily think pistons are a limiting factor when it comes to power levels. They "randomly" crack, but they don't seem to just fail above a certain level like youd expect rods to. And honestly more pistons probably fail from valve contact, excessive heat, or bad injectors then more people want to admit, or know because they aren't a diesel shop and do work themselves..

Survey says : XXX

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.