Audio setup questions

smokinstroker

Reaction score
Alright guys I'm looking at putting a stereo in my truck.
I'm open to suggestions but this is what I have been looking at gettinfg.

Front and Rear doors(rear doors mounted in a panel)
Focal flax ps165F 6.5 components

C pillar
Focal access 5x7 coaxial (for filler)

Amp
JL XD 600/6

Sub is up in the air still
Thinking of doing 1 JL 12w6 in the rear
Amp will be JL whatever is fitting if I can squeeze the sub in

Any thoughts?
Focal speakers really worth the money?
My other route on speakers was Infinity or JL C5

dfauerbach

Reaction score
JL stealth box has a 13.5 in it I put one in last week with an Alpine PDXV9 amp I think its about 500 or so clean power to the sub and it pounds. I did however put an Audison Bit One in as well that made ALL the difference i the world. I used Hertz 6.5 top of the line components up front made plates for that and infinity Kapa components for rear that I might disconnect completely they told me i wouldn't need them but i had that set so figured why not. I wanted to keep my stock NAV head unit and the Bit one made this sound amazing seriously night and day without it. The Herts speakers I paid 895 a set for but in all honesty I think they were worth it

Radioflyer

Reaction score
I was able to squeeze 3 w1 10's behind the rear seat in my 08 with a custom box with a mono block 1000w amp running at 2ohms. Kicked ass and sounded amazing. Had to remove the decompression vents in the back and block those off and make a custom box 1/2 mdf in theb ack and 1/2 fiberglass in the front to get the required air space. I was planning on doing 3 w610's in there, but the depth of the speaker wasn't enough without modifying the seat brackets and moving the rear seat forward. If i were to re-do it, i'd do like what dfauerbach said and do the stealth box with the 13".

Edit: I was running the JL CX speakers with a 600 watt 4 channel and switched them out for hertz components. Still have them in the truck bythemselves with out the subs. Components are where its at. Hertz or JL are my first pick for door speakers.

dfauerbach

Reaction score
Captain chairs in the rear? they offer one for the center console as well I believe

Extended Power

Reaction score
Here I'm trying to find someone to trade my KR rear bench for KR rear buckets so I can get enough room for my two JL 12W7's...and you wanna go with a single when you have all the room in the world?
Go big man!

Extended Power

Reaction score
I don't know how you plan on fitting that behind the seat or in the console

Custom center console from the front to the back. (between the seats.)

Amp rack for the JL 1000/1V2, JL 450/4V2, Mosconi 6to8, and HAT Clarus C61-2 cross-overs.

I'm getting a shop to build the box...I'm doing the amp rack.

RSK

Reaction score
I have the jl stealth box in the center console with only 225 watts going to it and it hits hard super crisp, shakes the seats with the bass on 0 at only half volume. My buddy has a stealth box in his 08 f450 with 600 watts going to it and it shakes his entire truck and sounds badass, and is loud. Then my other buddy has jl's stealth box that goes under the rear seat with 1 13" sub in it from jl and its loud but doesn't sound as good as the 8 in the center console. honestly do two jl stealth boxes in each center console with 600 watts going to each and your mind will be blown away...

smokinstroker

Reaction score
Custom center console from the front to the back. (between the seats.)

Amp rack for the JL 1000/1V2, JL 450/4V2, Mosconi 6to8, and HAT Clarus C61-2 cross-overs.

I'm getting a shop to build the box...I'm doing the amp rack.

Yea my plan is to keep this hidden.

Extended Power

Reaction score
They know i want it to look like a factory install.
Ive asked to have it covered with KR leather.
The subs have to be down firing to fit, and not "Look at me!"

RSK

Reaction score
Yea my plan is to keep this hidden.

They know i want it to look like a factory install.
Ive asked to have it covered with KR leather.
The subs have to be down firing to fit, and not "Look at me!"

JL stealth box for the center console does both of those and you can just order it, no need to have anything custom made. my whole system is completely hidden, amp is mounted on the back wall and there is still enough room in my center console for some stuff...i will admit 3/4 of the space is taken up by the stealth box but its really not bad.

powerstrokin15

Reaction score
i know you have captains. but with a nice box you could throw a JL13tw5 slim behind one seat. I love mine with only 400 watts going to it. very nice quality and hits very hard. its recommended with a JL500/1 amp.

as for speakers sorry no input.

smokinstroker

Reaction score
picked up some HERTZ speakers with a jL 600.6 this past weekend as well as a pioneer NEX 4000 so we will see how it works out. sub is still up in the air as i am going to have to get a custom box built I'm sure.

nickg3130

Reaction score
If the box for behind the seat is wide enough, each sub could fit behind each seat and be completely hidden. That's assuming there's enough room behind the bucket seats for a box like that.

I've had three different set ups in my truck so far. And I've finally gotten one I liked. Two pioneer 12" shallow mounts powered by a hifonics 2400.1 amp. Wired down to one ohm and turned down a bit they absolutely rip for shallow subs. I did put components in my truck for speakers with tweeters and actually added 2 in the rear doors and kept the factory rear speakers and tweeters. Those are also amplified.

Here's a pic installed ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412691687.377206.jpg

RSK

Reaction score
i know you have captains. but with a nice box you could throw a JL13tw5 slim behind one seat. I love mine with only 400 watts going to it. very nice quality and hits very hard. its recommended with a JL500/1 amp.

as for speakers sorry no input.

400 watts is decent amount of power. I bet that is your massage on the way home after a day of work. My little jl 8w7 hits hard with just 225 watts going to it, with 400 it will shake my whole truck. I like having the the under seat storage and behind the rear seat especially in the fall or winter.

powerstrokin15

Reaction score
400 watts is decent amount of power. I bet that is your massage on the way home after a day of work. My little jl 8w7 hits hard with just 225 watts going to it, with 400 it will shake my whole truck. I like having the the under seat storage and behind the rear seat especially in the fall or winter.

mine doesnt affect under seat storage currently at all. and the whole passenger side is open behind the seat. this sub performs a lot better with a 500watt. but i didnt wanna shell out the cash at the time and went 400, which hits hard enough for me.

itll out perform my buddies two kicker 12's and its a slim line 13.5"

RSK

Reaction score
mine doesnt affect under seat storage currently at all. and the whole passenger side is open behind the seat. this sub performs a lot better with a 500watt. but i didnt wanna shell out the cash at the time and went 400, which hits hard enough for me.

itll out perform my buddies two kicker 12's and its a slim line 13.5"

I didn't think it would affect under seat, i thought yours took up the whole behind the back seats. But if u have one side open for storage that's nice

Extended Power

Reaction score
Finally scored a set of captains bucket seats for my setup.
I already had the 12W7's bought, so the stealth boxes wouldn't work for me.

smokinstroker...Are you installing/cutting into your rear door panels to install a set of speakers?

My '03 doesn't have speakers in the rear doors, just behind the far rear panels of the cab.

I have two sets of HAT Clarus C61-2 component speakers, and not sure if I'm going to have both sets installed in the front door panels, or one set in the front, one in the rear doors, and use the factory rear location for "fill".

Latest posts

Members online