Auto hub Issue

Redpower

Reaction score
Got a new to me 2007 F250 a couple weeks ago. Through trial and error I found that my 4wd was not working when my hubs were in auto. When I lock them in "lock" the 4wd works fine. I hooked in a vac gauge after the solenoid and it goes up to 12in and holds for about 30 seconds until something lets the vacuum out. I don't think I have any leaks going to the hub as it holds and dumps it all off at once. Once it dumps the vacuum off my pass side hub unlocks. I replaced the solenoid and the new one does the same thing. Video shows the gauge and you can hear the pump running. Where do I need to look next?
th_vac_zpswzuqde39.jpg

webb06

Reaction score
Have you used a vacuum pump to hook directly to the fitting on the axle? Does the hub lock in if you do that?

Redpower

Reaction score
^^ Was thinking the exact same thing after I posted this afternoon, so I borrowed a vac pump/gauge from a friend and pulled a vacuum on each hub. Both hubs hold 15in for more than 5 min. I did some more testing and all vacuum seems to be lost in the black box behind the pass side battery. What exactly is that box?

timj

Reaction score
Same here, I use a vacuum pump too. Mityvac? brand pistol grip style works nice and it's not expensive. The hubs need to see a presence of vacuum for a brief period of time to both lock and unlock the hubs. If the pump itself can pull 10 inches of vacuum it is adequate. I've seen as high as 17 but low to mid - teens is good for right off the pump. The vacuum solenoid will pull a vacuum for like 30 seconds to lock the hubs and then it releases the vacuum. If there are no leaks and the lockouts are ok they will lock and stay locked regardless of key on or off cycles. To unlock the hubs the solenoid again will pull a vacuum on them for a short period of time and then release the vacuum. At that moment when the vacuum is released, the hubs should be free.
You can test the pump and solenoid operation with the vacuum tool hooked up right off the solenoid and/ or at either hose at each steering knuckle. Test your hoses and connections for leaks and also right at each hub. You really shouldn't detect any drop in vacuum watching the guage for a minute. Common places for leaks besides a obvious cracked hose or pesky leaking hose connection are the vacuum solenoid, large hub seal pressed into steering knuckle, the wheel bearing itself between the fixed/ rotating flange, or the large o ' ring around the wheel bearing where it seats inside the steering knuckle bore.
I apologize if my specs aren't totally right as I'm just going off of memory here. BTW this system all works exactly the same concept for '99-2010 f250-f550 with autohubs.

timj

Reaction score
^^ Was thinking the exact same thing after I posted this afternoon, so I borrowed a vac pump/gauge from a friend and pulled a vacuum on each hub. Both hubs hold 15in for more than 5 min. I did some more testing and all vacuum seems to be lost in the black box behind the pass side battery. What exactly is that box?

If it's oval, it's just a reservoir.

Redpower

Reaction score
If it's oval, it's just a reservoir.

I need to do some more testing in the morning as I got called away on a fire call this afternoon and didn't get to finish. Really think I have a leak in the vacuum reservoir - don't know if that often happens or not.

timj

Reaction score
I haven't come across one yet that has lesked but I'm a heavy truck/equipment mechanic so it's not like I'm working on a superduty every week or anything like that. I think they just have two ports - inlet from the pump and then outlet to the vacuum solenoid so it should be easy for you to isolate.

renegade

Reaction score
The problem is most likely in the hub itself. They do NOT have vacuum present all the time, they have a vacuum pulse to lock, and then a vacuum pulse to unlock, the hub latches internally, for some reason your pass. side hub is not latching.

Latest posts

Members online