Auto hubs not working .

Jrs6.7

Reaction score
So I got 4.30 gears installed and now auto hubs are not working. If I manual lock them 4x4 engages. Any help before I go hunting down the guy that did the gears. Maybe something simple I can do in the driveway ?

dizzle

Reaction score
I had that happen to mine. The auto wouldn't engage, but would work manually. Took it to Ford for warranty and they replaced both hubs. Said they were full of rust and would move with the vacuum.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Jrs6.7

Reaction score
Yea makes sense. Doubt that's the case. Hubs were working perfectly before. Just wondering if there is a way to incorrectly install them and only have manual lock work .

Reaction score
It's fairly common for the little vacuum pump that actuates them to go bad. I've seen it a couple of times.

I'm not sure if that's the case here since it happened right after installing gears but it might be worth a look. Maybe check to see if a line got unplugged.

Jrs6.7

Reaction score
Will take off wheels today and check all lines. If everything checks out have to go find the guy .

HeavyAssault

Reaction score
I'd jack up the front wheels off the ground. Then go thru the steps of checking the engagement when using the ESOF.

How long ago was the work done for the gears?

Jrs6.7

Reaction score
About 3-4 weeks ago . I didn't get to try the 4x4 until this past weekend which is when i noticed. That will be next step .

HeavyAssault

Reaction score
Block the rear tires to ensure the vehicle doesn't roll during the work. Jack the front off the ground. Make sure the hubs are in AUTO and that the front axle is disconnected (mechanically not physically) from the transfer case. Simply spin the tires and see if the transfer case driveshaft is not engaged but doesn't turn and verify that the hub shaft (stub shaft??) in not engaged and doesn't turn as well.

Start the truck and place the ESOF to 4hi. Do the same check as above but now the driveshafts should be engaged and not turn. You may notice there is some slop and may see the shafts engaged with the hubs and trying to turn.

It doesn't sound clear here, but what you are trying to do is make sure the transfer case does engage the driveline all the way thru to the hubs. Since the hubs work off a vacuum you need to allow the splines to align and engage the hub/stub shafts correctly. After that you are making sure the transfer case driveshaft is engaged properly as well.

Reaction score
I do know there's a large yellow o ring that has to be replaced whenever the hubs are removed to ensure the vacuum is good. Maybe they werent reinstalled or they got damaged. Take out the 4 screws on the hub and wiggle it out and you should be able to see if the orings are there.

Jrs6.7

Reaction score
Thanks. I'll look into that . Going to see if I can get vaccum gauge/pump after I check 4x4 is engaging all way too the hubs. If I can't hold vacuum probably going to tear into hubs .

Jrs6.7

Reaction score
Didn't have chance to tear into the hubs tonight . 4x4 is engaging and driveshaft locks up when In 4hi. Hubs in auto Tories keep spinning and don't lock with inner axles. Once switched over to lock inner axles lock.

Jrs6.7

Reaction score
Took hubs off and both orange seals are installed. Also found a vacuum pump and neither side will hold any vacuum . I suspect inner seal now . Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HeavyAssault

Reaction score
For a 2016 you should be covered at the dealer. Wish I had a breakdown of the front axle but a seal does sound like that would fix the issue.

Jrs6.7

Reaction score
Yea my dealers aren't so Friendly around here. Specially if they see somethings been worked on already. But I guess I'll have to give it a shot. Was hoping to get in there and try to fix it myself .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.