Axle Swap

NoSlow6.0

Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone has done a Ford 9" axle swap on a later model diesel truck to drop weight for drag racing. It seems I recall someone doing this on the rear of a truck in Diesel Power mag. I know some of the Ford 9" units could handle the power because they are run on extremely high HP gas cars. Just wondering if anyone would know what kind of weight drop you would get on a drag truck like mine 2005 F-350 SRW 4x4. I know the cost would be really high prob around 6K to 8K. But when you run out of available HP you can make the only other thing would be to drop weight. So what you guys think how much of a weight drop could you get? Just an idea I've always wondered about.

ford rules

Reaction score
I would think it would be much cheaper to drop weight else where, cut the bed apart and just use the skins fiberglass front clip. Hell they probably have fiberglass bedsides as well. Then just gut the cab.

NoSlow6.0

Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken that truck that did the rear axle swap was a Dodge 2500 and I believe the weight reduction was a little over 300lb. That's huge. And I wouldn't want a truck hacked all to pieces like some I've seen like you talked about. I mean that would work but not the way i would want to go. Some stuff I've seen in fiberglass like hoods actually weighed just as much as their steel counterparts too.

ford rules

Reaction score
300 lbs seams like a lot from an axle swap, I geuss it just depends on how the axle is setup though. I don't see it holding the torque very well either that's just my thoughts though.

Cutting-Edge Diesel

Reaction score
The high hp gas cars dont have to deal with the weight we do. just something to think about. its not just about being able to hold the power its about being able to push the weight too.

PDT1081

Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken that truck that did the rear axle swap was a Dodge 2500 and I believe the weight reduction was a little over 300lb. That's huge. And I wouldn't want a truck hacked all to pieces like some I've seen like you talked about. I mean that would work but not the way i would want to go. Some stuff I've seen in fiberglass like hoods actually weighed just as much as their steel counterparts too.

The rear axle in your truck weighs less than 300lbs. Even lighter brakes, rims, and tires isn't going to net you 300lbs in weight reduction. IF, big if, you see 100lb difference I'd be surprised. The only reason you should be considering it is more gear choices.

kadeninabnitt

Reaction score
The rear axle in your truck weighs less than 300lbs. Even lighter brakes, rims, and tires isn't going to net you 300lbs in weight reduction. IF, big if, you see 100lb difference I'd be surprised. The only reason you should be considering it is more gear choices.

your saying a 10.50 sterling weighs less than 300 pounds :bs:

NoSlow6.0

Reaction score
Yea I thought about the weight issue. Ya'll are probably right it might not last but I did see that one truck that had it done and it did hold up. It was a black crew cab 4 x 4 Dodge that it was under. I guess if it would hold up you would see alot of people with them too. I just saw that one truck and wondered why other people hadn't done it. I'll try to do a search and see if I can't find that article and the weights on these units.

ford rules

Reaction score
No way a stock housing 9" will hold the torque and weight of these trucks, it just wont happen imo. I see all kinds of guys ripping pinions out of them in rock crawlers. Thats about the same concept also lots of torque and no wheel spin with a sticky tire = broken parts.
Not to even mention or get into converting it over to full float and 8 lug hubs assuming you want the patterns to match. People dont do it cause it costs way to much to even come close to the strength of a stock 10.5 and to save what 100lbs maybe?

Latest posts

Members online