Back in a 6.0!! Wanna mod on the cheap

shmoozer

Reaction score
ficm tuners have access to certain parameters that pcm tuning does not. Mainly related to low end fueling. personally i have never had a need for it. Beware, the only guys that tune ficms are PHP and if you match their ficm tuning with other tuners pcm tuning, the results may not be great.

Really? I've not really heard that before. I've always found that ficm and pcm tuning have gone well together. I feel that kind of let's you dial in your tune a little bit more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

colo_dually

Reaction score
ficm tuners have access to certain parameters that pcm tuning does not. Mainly related to low end fueling. personally i have never had a need for it. Beware, the only guys that tune ficms are PHP and if you match their ficm tuning with other tuners pcm tuning, the results may not be great.

********** Diesel provides FICM tuning as well. I run IDP with tunes from WPE, and haven't had any issues. **********'s FICM isn't advertised as powerful as PHP's, however when you match the files they seem on par with each other.

Really? I've not really heard that before. I've always found that ficm and pcm tuning have gone well together. I feel that kind of let's you dial in your tune a little bit more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed. I have found at least in my tunes they match well.

sootie

Reaction score
Well php ficm tunes dont always play nice with gear head pcm tuning. I beleive it has to do with the "tricking" that goes on in six oh tuning.

LovinPSDs

Reaction score
I was going to go with ******** tuning so I'll keep that in mind. If something were to happen with the FICM I'll just go with a bullet proof or 58v as to not mess with the tunes. Like I said, not here to break any dyno records. Just alil more umph and none of the restrictive EPA junk!

Lubbockguy1979

Reaction score
The biggest thing is. Tuners clam x amount of hp. Ficm tuning claims x amount of hp. Those are not numbers that add on top of each other. They more or less compliment each other. Ive wanted to do it for years just havent bit the bullet. Now im debating getting out of a 6.0 again as i sold my 06 last summer and might sell the 05 for either a gasser 11+ or a diesel if i can get what i think my 05 is worth out of it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

LovinPSDs

Reaction score
I got one last question... what are the big ticket items to monitor?

Oil temp
Coolant temp (and the delta between them)
EGTs
FICM Voltage?

What am i missing if I'm strictly wanting to make sure things are running how they should?

sootie

Reaction score
Oh a six oh I watch: egt, boost, trans temps, coolant temp, oil temperature, ficm output power, icp volts

LovinPSDs

Reaction score
Oh a six oh I watch: egt, boost, trans temps, coolant temp, oil temperature, ficm output power, icp volts

So I got my ScanGauge II programmed lastnight... Looking for windows/ranges to watch for the 6.0s

EGTs & Boost - I got it, no questions

Coolant/Oil Temp - Max temp 220*F (ish)??? Don't want to see a large delta either correct?

Trans - Should stay in the 180-200*F range?

FICM Output Power - 48.0 Volts - Is any fluctuation ok? I did see it hit 47.5v for a second while idling in the driveway

ICP Volts - I really don't know what I'm looking for here.

Thanks Guys,

Ian

03_PSD

Reaction score
FICM will fluctuate from 48.5-47.0, that's normal. You don't want to see less than 45.

Coolant and Oil Temps should be within 15* of each other, beyond 15* you have issues. So the closer the spread, the better.

Trans. Temp should be 150-195. Good rule is 60-80* above ambient temp.

sootie

Reaction score
Thanks

What is ICP Volts? Sootie mentioned it as something to watch.

it correlates to injection pressure. Cant just read HPO psi because on tuned trucks it will be incorrect. If your truck is on a stock calibration, just watch ICP

LovinPSDs

Reaction score
First pull with the gauges setup....

70mph +\- a few
80ish degrees
Mostly flat with moderate hills
10k lbs 5er

EOT - 210-218
Water Temp - 203-207

Consistantly saw a 9-12*F delta with that increasing to 14-15 for a brief moment a few times.

Trans stayed constant at 167 most the drive and ICM Volts were consistent.

So what do you think about the temps?

LovinPSDs

Reaction score
How big is your trailer? Ive got a 40ft weekend warrior that is heavy and about as aerodynamic as a barn. I get between 8-8.5 towing.

33ft 5'er roughly 10-10.5k... little windy, completely stock, running about 70.

Truck basically sits at 20 lbs of boost at that speed. Thoughts??

I'll calc the return after I drop the trailer off and fill back up. Felt better than the way there

Last edited:

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Seems about right. The wind is what probably killed it. Dropping to 60 will help as well. Relatively flat, or pretty hilly?

LovinPSDs

Reaction score
60 miles of flat corn country (nothing to block the winds) and 60miles of long but not crazy steep rolling hills.

I'm 100% positive I could get way better mileage out of it, but with a 2.5yr old and 5 month old ticking time bomb in the back seat I'm throttle down at 70mph haha.

EOT and Water Temp look about right? Delta is just slightly high I guess but in the wheel house?

Lubbockguy1979

Reaction score
Looks like the outside temps werent in the 95+ when you were traveling. To me it looks good. You wouldnt want to know what i call ok for mine

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.