Back of head fuel leak

95powersmoker

Reaction score
Hey guys, I was installing gauges today and I went to check if the gauges would light up and heard something leaking. Turns out I have a massive fuel leak with the key on. Now here's the details. It is dripping right off he passenger side exhaust manifold behind the starter. My valley is clean and dry and I wrapped a paper towel around the fuel line that connects to the back of the head and it stayed dry. So I feel as though I can rule out fuel bowl issues, fuel line issues. Seems to me that it is coming from a plug or something on the back of the head. I've been trying to do a lot of cleaning of that area today and sprayed it with brake cleaner. It's a tight area and has 13 years of crud back there. Might take off the down pipe tomorrow as that should allow me to poke my head up in there. It's only leaking with the key in the on position. I have my injectors out waiting for some new PIS injectors to come in but obviously need to fix this leak first. Any help as to what plugs are back there that are fuel related and or any other serious suggestions.

Thanks.

m j

Reaction score
banjo bolts.
you have electric fuel so it gets pressure with key on.
banjos use an O ring to seal.

95powersmoker

Reaction score
banjo bolts.
you have electric fuel so it gets pressure with key on.
banjos use an O ring to seal.

Thank you. Can you tell me where they are located? Do I need to just replace the oring? Is it one of the plugs in the back of the head with the Allen head?

95powersmoker

Reaction score
Ok, a little research got me a few pictures of where they are and looks like they are 1/4" square drive. Here's some good pictures if anybody needs them in the future. http://www.strictlydiesel.com/Product_Docs/Driven/Driven-73FS-BanjoBoltKit-Manual.pdf

When I get back outside this morning I will get the down pipe off and make sure this is where the leak is coming from. It seems like the only place. It's not in the valley or fuel line. They area is completely dry and nothing is draining down the drain hole in the back of the block.

Tom S

Reaction score
I do not think there will be pressure with the injectors are out like he posted previously. Seems to me that is going to work on filling the cylinders with fuel when the key is on.

Hey guys, I was installing gauges today and I went to check if the gauges would light up and heard something leaking. Turns out I have a massive fuel leak with the key on. Now here's the details. It is dripping right off he passenger side exhaust manifold behind the starter. My valley is clean and dry and I wrapped a paper towel around the fuel line that connects to the back of the head and it stayed dry. So I feel as though I can rule out fuel bowl issues, fuel line issues. Seems to me that it is coming from a plug or something on the back of the head. I've been trying to do a lot of cleaning of that area today and sprayed it with brake cleaner. It's a tight area and has 13 years of crud back there. Might take off the down pipe tomorrow as that should allow me to poke my head up in there. It's only leaking with the key in the on position. I have my injectors out waiting for some new PIS injectors to come in but obviously need to fix this leak first. Any help as to what plugs are back there that are fuel related and or any other serious suggestions.

Thanks.

95powersmoker

Reaction score
I do not think there will be pressure with the injectors are out like he posted previously. Seems to me that is going to work on filling the cylinders with fuel when the key is on.

I can siphon out the cylinders today and see if that's the issue. My question then is why the leak on one side of the motor? I understand your thought process, filling the cylinders maybe an slightly open valve. Wouldn't the fluid that was leaking then also be mixed with oil? Also wouldn't it be potentially on both sides of the motor? What I saw was straight diesel. No oil. And it came pouring out as soon as the key was on for a few seconds and continued to leak well after I took the key out and unhooked the batts. In addition, while it was leaking, I had the valve cover off to see if I could see fuel overflowing the cylinders into the injector cups but did not see anything there. I figured the back injector cup might be full but was not.

I appreciate the input guys, please keep it coming.

Tom S

Reaction score
Bottom line you cannot assess a leak of the fuel system with the injectors out.

Latest posts

Members online