Batteries??

Jarrod B

Reaction score
Probably, especially down here in the south. But...it would shorten its lifespan and when your cranking it would have a higher tendency to drop voltage down, etc.

True. But for 260 a batt ..... Lol

I just run Motorcraft batteries. O'Reilly's sells Motorcraft batts

I'm tempted on the gel ones when ever my red autozone batts fail.

Big Angry Hillbilly

Reaction score
i generally recommend large case 65 series batteries with lower cca 750 works pretty good, my reasoning is that there will be fewer plates spread farther apart and more acid allowing the battery to live longer before the plates sulphate and short together. in our shop we generally see a 5-8 year life span from a set of motorcraft 750s (bxt-65-750) $109.95, in the past few years motorcraft batteries have been built in mexico and quality levels went down. so we tried east penn batteries (deka, napa, reasource) but saw a higher failure rate, interstate was ok, exide $89.95 and motorcraft plus(BXL65)$89.95 was best bang for the buck. now the next variable is warranty, most all battery companies got rid of prorating system except for motorcraft, so choose your poison. also i recommend felt washers under cables on the posts and insulating blankets around the battery case for longitivity. consider a battery tender or Ctek charger and avoid deep battery drains

This guy is right on the money. Good post.

bboteler

Reaction score
This has been a really informative post I'll let you guys know what I get in the next few weeks...this is why I love this place.

bad12jr

Reaction score
My IDI has NAPA brand 770CCA group 65's for the past 6 years now and they have been great. Heck, the truck just sat for 6 weeks and I fired it up around 40* (not cold at all, but not summer time temps) and it fired up perfect).

What about group 31 batteries? Anybody ever swapped to them?

I have 31s in my obs because I didn't wanna pay dealer price for motorcraft 65 then found them at orielys the next day. Never had a starting issue in the 2 yrs they've been in there. Sat for a week and a half and started at 25 degrees no problem.

Sent from my x2 chillin in the middle of no where

Zmann

Reaction score
you might get away with it in an emergency and if the motor was recently run

I don't know about a cold motor and glow plugs cycling for a loner WTS time

POWER-STRUCK

Reaction score
portlandarea, flybynight, and i had a little tech talk last night in chat if they want to chime in and give you the information i shared with them about batteries

FSJPat

Reaction score
For the people thinking about switching to Odyssey batteries, the Sears Diehard Platinum are the same battery, just different color case and Sears stickers. About $100 cheaper than the Odyssey, 4 year free replacement. Have one in my Jeep that sits for long amounts of time, a current draw killed it, but Sears took it back no questions asked.

bboteler

Reaction score
Best price I've found on 65's is Costco and 4 year warranty 850/1000. Should have em by the weekend.

bboteler

Reaction score
That's what I thought! Make the woman's Costco membership worth all the grief I give her about it.

mcdaniel1991

Reaction score
Damn I spent $380 on 2 yellow tops about a month ago but over here in Germany that's about all the choice I had, at least on base I coulda gone on the economy and got a German brand but then I really wouldn't have a warranty;(

Reaction score
I had Deka 1150 ca in my 6.0, I loved them, they are still starting like brand new and there workin on 3 years old now ! Total price for 2 was $160... I couldn't complain with that price lol

bboteler

Reaction score
Ok just to update. I missed the sale but got the batteries $94.99 + 9.00 core. Still not bad and 100% replacement so I'm happy and so it the truck.

Latest posts

Members online