battery terminal corroson ??

deangarth

Reaction score
wife went to start the truck this morning and waited a few seconds after the glow plug light went out and no start. she said it barely turned over. we had negative 27 this morning and we forgot to plug her in. so i went out about noon and opened the hood and the terminal end on the battery posts where all corroded. so i grabed my post cleaning brush and went to pull them all off and clean them. one of the clamps that go ont eh post on the passenger side was corroded so bad that the clamp had broke in 2. ad thats where the glow plug relay wires hook to. and being broke i was basicaly runing off one batery with all the corosion on it.

i was told to stick baking soda on to help clena them off. my question is do i add water to the baking soda or just baking soda and let them sit??

i bought new clamps and am in the process of installing new ones cause the drivers one is pretty wore down also, just not broke in half yet. i was able to plug in the truck and jump it off my other truck. fired up just fine. and volt meter shows 14.6 volts on the alternator when idleing and on the baterys.

extreme3807

Reaction score
A couple tablespoons of baking soda into a cup of water, and stir.. Same thing happened to me on my car, clamps broke in 2. I was lazy and soldered them together

deangarth

Reaction score
736150_3657509696323_339058711_o.jpg
[/IMG]

737086_3657492975905_139003661_o.jpg

after cleaninf them

Stroked

Reaction score
coke will do the same job as baking soda, if you were in a pinch. and yeaa, get those replaced and have your batteries tested. Cold weather and dead batteries are bad news, good way to ruin them. its all about the maintenance

POWER-STRUCK

Reaction score
-27 ouch! i'm glad you got it going, you might want to check your batteries and get some felt washers along with some anticorrosion compound to prevent that in the future

rentstdi

Reaction score
I would like to know how the baking soda and WATER worked at those temperatures. I figure it would freeze up and not bubble like its suppose to, time for a heat gun!

Freightshaker

Reaction score
Di electric grease is great but I believe the ultimate terminal protection is CRC soft seal. My dad had a gallon jug he got for free and he coated his terminals a good while back. Which reminds me I need to find it and take care of mine. They make it in an aerosol can also.

Latest posts

Members online