Battery time

Bearded7point3pilot

Reaction score
What's everyone running? I've heard Optima red tops, or Sears diehard platinum, which is manufactured by Odyssey. I'm gonna go check Sears tomorrow, but I can get a really good deal on the red tops. Just looking for opinions? Or another suggestion as well.

Powerstroker7.3

Reaction score
Just go to ford and get a motorcraft. They have held up great in my truck and have a good warranty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jomax

Reaction score
Sears lost the contract with Odessey for their diehards. They're now junk.

If you don't want to pay for the Odysseys, I'd jump on the CAT batteries, the price is super good and they're sealed.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Sears lost the contract with Odessey for their diehards. They're now junk.

If you don't want to pay for the Odysseys, I'd jump on the CAT batteries, the price is super good and they're sealed.

Thats too bad. I put them in every vehicle we had until three years ago when we got all new stuff.

Jomax

Reaction score
Thats too bad. I put them in every vehicle we had until three years ago when we got all new stuff.

Originally the diehards were supposed to be similarly priced to odysseys, Sears undercut them and odyssey wasn't too happy they weren't selling as many. They were stuck till their contract ended. It ended last year? Sears was stupid.

I believe deka batteries now make diehards

mandkole

Reaction score
At one point, East Penn (deka brand) was producing the Cat replacement program as well. Not sure today.

mikeeg02

Reaction score
At one point, East Penn (deka brand) was producing the Cat replacement program as well. Not sure today.

These are my favorite batteries. (East Penn Deka)

I have heard optimas are getting slowly better again, but ~5-7 years ago they hit a serious decline. I bought several of them and fully charged them and then load tested 100% new batteries, and most of them were at 60% capacity of what they advertised.

I am a big fan of interstates, though they are usually the most expensive. Second choice is from the local battery warehouse. They are generally cheaper and for some reason seem to hold up pretty well.

Bearded7point3pilot

Reaction score
Damn, if only there was money for a pair of those nice lithium batteries. I've heard Motorcraft were good, but I'm glad I heard about the Sears batteries. Saves me a trip

01 7.3 F250
4" Diamond Eye exhaust
"Tymar" Intake
EGT, Trans Temp, Boost

CarportMechanic

Reaction score
My truck currently has Les Schwab. Sticker date is 10/09 so im at about 7 years. Truck starts great right now but I know the winter months it will struggle. They were starting to get weak last winter. Came with the truck so no idea on price but they have lasted longer than I expected.

Jomax

Reaction score
Batteries in AZ last about 2 years. The cat battery in my skidsteer was 7 years old when I sold it and it was in Az all its life.

Sealed batteries seem to last way longer.

I'll be going with odyssey or CAT.

Bearded7point3pilot

Reaction score
Yea I think it'll be Motorcrafts going in it, the Odyssey is super nice, but nearly double the price. I definitely appreciate the advice

01 7.3 F250
4" Diamond Eye exhaust
"Tymar" Intake
EGT, Trans Temp, Boost

dsberman94

Reaction score
I'll probably go with interstate or spring for the Odyssey batteries if my diehard platinums ever go bad. I got mine soon before they lost the contract so I've still got the good ones. Hope I never have to warranty one though because I don't want a junk one. So far these are tanks. Started me in negative temps when I had no block heater and no glow plugs at the time either. Just started it by holding the key. Didn't care if I fried the starter. Still going on that starter too.

Jomax

Reaction score
Yea I think it'll be Motorcrafts going in it, the Odyssey is super nice, but nearly double the price. I definitely appreciate the advice

01 7.3 F250
4" Diamond Eye exhaust
"Tymar" Intake
EGT, Trans Temp, Boost

Look at the cat batteries, they're almost the same price as Motorcraft.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Ive got Johnson Controls rebranded batteries in my truck. Yep, Wal mart batteries. I take them in every two years and they give me new ones.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.