BFH Turbo and Daily Driving?

Pwnm30rdi3

Reaction score
I currently have a modded H2E, and it isn't cleaning up well.
I called Swamps and they told me I should go with the BFH s400 based turbo, they said with proper tuning it would make a decent daily turbo.

What do you guys think?

Rideracelivemx7

Reaction score
I was told by one of there guys the BFH is not a friendly turbo to use on the street? id agree being a 76mm is pretty large as a single to DD. I have a s471 and it cleaned up 250s pretty great, running matts tunes my 350s don't kill the 471 too bad

Pwnm30rdi3

Reaction score
I was told by one of there guys the BFH is not a friendly turbo to use on the street? id agree being a 76mm is pretty large as a single to DD. I have a s471 and it cleaned up 250s pretty great, running matts tunes my 350s don't kill the 471 too bad

I was thinking the same thing, even on their website it says "This is NOT A turbocharger that we recommend for quick & responsive daily driving!"

The guy at swamps told me the turbo would likely light at around 2000rpm.

id look into a pius turbo

I've heard great things about Puis' turbos, but I'd really like to keep my hypermax mount. Not trying to shoot down your ideas because I like your idea, but when I started this build ~10 months ago I didn't know much. I quickly pulled the trigger on the modded H2E kit because it looked economical. I then had a wastegate welded onto the cast mount which ran me another $350, that process was a nightmare (bad shop experience). So now I'm left with little money to spend and what seems like a very limited mounting style.

PSDEng

Reaction score
I drove a s475 on the street for awhile with 300/200s.......not much fun at all in the lower range of rpms. I think there are better options out there for you though.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Could have the H2e opened up to a larger then 66mm compressor? Could also run a 19cm housing...

I dont think you need that much larger of a turbo.

co04cobra

Reaction score
I put a few thousand miles on a truck with a BFH and swamps 300/200s. Definitely did not spool up until around 2200-2300.

JHILL

Reaction score
Pius may give you some flak about a holset!, IIRC Joe K. aka House had him do a billet comp. wheel- 71mm with a bigger spindle/shaft . No idea on the cost to do so.

Last edited:

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Pius may give you some flak about a holset!, IIRC Joe K. aka House had him do a billet comp. wheel- 71mm with a bigger spindle/shaft . No idea on the cost to do so.

Yup...

I have no idea why he hates Holset turbos but it really turned me off talking to him about mine.

dentexpowerstroke

Reaction score
Bfh sucks to dd. I have a 71mm h2e I throw on when the truck isn't in race mode and it's awesome on the street. Hit up barder turbo about 71mm h2e if you want a good street turbo with some good top end. I drove my truck with the bfh for about a week before I pulled it off. Merging onto the highway was a smokey mess and you had to drive around the turbo 24/7

Pwnm30rdi3

Reaction score
Bfh sucks to dd. I have a 71mm h2e I throw on when the truck isn't in race mode and it's awesome on the street. Hit up barder turbo about 71mm h2e if you want a good street turbo with some good top end. I drove my truck with the bfh for about a week before I pulled it off. Merging onto the highway was a smokey mess and you had to drive around the turbo 24/7

Looks like I will be staying away from the BFH.
I'll give Barder turbo a call tomorrow! Thanks!

Yup...

I have no idea why he hates Holset turbos but it really turned me off talking to him about mine.

After reading some other threads about Pius's hatred towards Holset, I'm not sure I want to contact him about modifying mine.

How do you like your 19cm housing?

Do you happen to know the inducer/ exducer specs on our modded H2E's from swamps? I can't find specs on it anywhere..

golfer

Reaction score
This truck is running our BFH...

http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40100

so while it can be streetable (higher shift points and later converter lock)...it's not something that would be enjoyable to daily drive...and if the truck were a manual trans..no way.

choosing a single turbo to run 300/200 injectors is going to require compromise.

we've made over 750hp with our 300/200s...find a single turbo that you'd like to daily drive...& make power with, but you'll not find one turbo that will do both.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Looks like I will be staying away from the BFH.
I'll give Barder turbo a call tomorrow! Thanks!

After reading some other threads about Pius's hatred towards Holset, I'm not sure I want to contact him about modifying mine.

How do you like your 19cm housing?

Do you happen to know the inducer/ exducer specs on our modded H2E's from swamps? I can't find specs on it anywhere..

Pius is one of, if not the best turbo builder in the country, but that just really disapointed me.

Otherwise mine is a Beans modded H2e and I do not know, sorry...

edit...

As for the 19cm housing...

I love it for the top end, at 50psi boost I am sitting right at 60psi drive pressure (my gauge is only a 60 psi, but its not "pegged")... It has however given me some lag at the bottom end that I am hoping this new wheel will lessen. If not I will go back to the 17cm housing.

Last edited:

sootie

Reaction score
x2 for Barder. Stand up dude, good communicator and fast turnaround time.

Pwnm30rdi3

Reaction score
I'll give Barder a call and see what he can do. Probably keep my H2E for another year until I can afford compounds.

This truck is running our BFH...

http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40100

so while it can be streetable (higher shift points and later converter lock)...it's not something that would be enjoyable to daily drive...and if the truck were a manual trans..no way.

choosing a single turbo to run 300/200 injectors is going to require compromise.

we've made over 750hp with our 300/200s...find a single turbo that you'd like to daily drive...& make power with, but you'll not find one turbo that will do both.

I don't mind compromising to get a good match for my 300/200's but I do daily drive this thing and don't want to be disappointed with my choice!
I'm thinking I may just begin saving for compounds.. Looks like thats the only way to get good street ability & good power!

bruce

Reaction score
theres a guy sellin a gtx4294 with irate's in the classifieds. that would fit those 300/200 pretty good and its cheaper than compunds

dentexpowerstroke

Reaction score
I wouldn't even do compounds. Guys have switched back to a single from compounds because its harder on hard parts. With 300/200 you will love the 71mm h2e or a s468. They are 2 really versatile and tough turbos.

a gtx turbo would be awesome too, I've personally never liked the price on them tho.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online