Black wheels by PlastiDip

A/Ox4

Reaction score
I've been wanting to try black wheels for a while now, and my chrome was starting to look a little more like brushed aluminum... So I went out and bought 8 cans of Plasti-Dip for a little less than $6 each at the hardware store.

I masked off the brake components from behind with some masking paper, and also covered the front hubs. I didnt want rubber to infiltrate the already finicky, ESOF system. I did however leave the rear hubs exposed, and coated them as well. Rust-iron doesnt fit into my color scheme well.

Let me get off topic and review the actual product for a second. I was very pleased with how easy this whole process was. It goes on cleaner and more even than most aerosol paints I've used. Very little dripping, if any. Honestly the best thing, although it seems simple, it the nozzle. Unlike the unwieldy round nozzle on a straw, this nozzle is a nice large button that hugs your finger. One thing I always struggle with is my finger getting covered in what ever I am spraying. Not a problem with these. Small, but significant! The cans also work great at all angles, which is important since I did these wheels while mounted on the truck, and the holes needed 360* of coverage.

Back to the wheels. I first cleaned them with an unidentified yellow cleaner found under the sink in a generic spray bottle. Wiped clean with a rag, then cleaned again with a micro fiber cloth. I applied a pretty generous layer, coming back around once everything was covered, although I would only consider this one FULL layer. I did the lug nuts. I am playing with the idea of taking them off one at a time, peeling the plastidip off of them, for a little chrome accent. Havent decided on that yet.

I only have 16" wheels, and I didnt do the back sides, but I bought 2 cans per wheel as I seem to recall that is the indicated dosage. By the time I finished all 4 with what I feel was a healthy layer, I was surprised to find that I had just finished my first can! Really, one can. Even after touch ups on all 4 wheels. I returned 6 cans, and kept one more in case I decided to do another layer. I also sprayed a test layer on some metal in the garage with the same consistency of the layers I used on the wheels so I can test peel-ability of that layer thickness.

What does everyone think? As it dries it becomes more matte/eggshell which I prefer. So far, I am EXTREMELY pleased with the product, and also think I am going to like the wheels like this as well. First impressions are a yes, but I will let it grow on me to a definitely over the next few weeks.

Attachments

• 20140626_173236.jpg
    20140626_173236.jpg
    625.8 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:

A/Ox4

Reaction score
Updated pic after a second coat and a week to dry in a 110* oven (aka Bakersfield)

eba4ujuh.jpg

matyhy2a.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

ToMang07

Reaction score
Looks good Trey. Been playing with doing that myself. My "brushed" wheels look horrible up close.

Only problem is all the chrome.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Updated pic after a second coat and a week to dry in a 110* oven (aka Bakersfield)

eba4ujuh.jpg

matyhy2a.jpg

good lookin truck man.. rims turned out ok..

side note- who are you and where did you come from? good write up for your first thread!

03ranger30

Reaction score
Been thinking about doing that to my truck too. My wheels are so corroded and nasty looking up close it is ridiculous.

black'n'blue

Reaction score
I can't believe your just now finding out about this stuff! its great and inexpensive and if you get a chip in it you just spray a little on there and rub it with your finger and then apply another coat to patch up the holes. I've done my rims, bumpers, badges, and Grill. The best part about this stuf is that you want overspray so you can peel the excess off when your done. It also had an 800* melting point once applied so you could do your exhaust tip also. I don't know if I'd try it on a 6.4 due to the regen cycle, but it's a great product. YouTube dipyourcar.com and he'll show you everything you need to know to do it so you'll get the best finished product. I do know he suggests 5 coats going from light to heavy to provide the durability you might need for a rim or bumper.

A/Ox4

Reaction score
side note- who are you and where did you come from? good write up for your first thread!

You can find me on most forums. I used to use the name PatriotHauling here but I no longer operate that business. This name is the name I use on most forums. You can also find me on YouTube www.YouTube.com/TreySpooner

A/Ox4

Reaction score
What kinda lift is that on your truck? Love the stance.

I don't know exactly. It was on the truck when I bought it. Believe it's a 2" level. Shackles up front and a 1" block in the back.

Yeah. Stacked blocks. Get off me lol

Latest posts

Members online