Block heater? Getting ready for winter.

mstng5point0

Reaction score
That time of year is coming. I want to get my truck ready for winter. Doing head gaskets soon so i am replacing the glow plugs and harnesses. How do i test the block heater cord?

Also how long does everyone plug them in? Hoping to get a timer and figured 2-3 hours each night should be good ones its in the 20s maybe even 30s

Ficm is by ed already so that should be good and will check the batteries most likely going to replace with Interstates for peice of mind.

Trqmnstr

Reaction score
You can hear the block heater when you plug it in, its very quiet but open the hood and stick your head in there. Or just load test the plug.

2 hours before startup works fine on mine down to 10+ below zero.

Get the black to interstates, i think 650 cca. The green tops left me stranded after only a week, wouldnt even turn the motor

mstng5point0

Reaction score
Was planning on Interstate MTP65 whcih are their 850cca 1000ca .

What is everyone using for a timer for the block heater?

Mdub707

Reaction score
650 is less than stock. Pretty sure the stockers are even in the 750CCA area. I went with 880CCA from Napa (East Penn/Deka).

2-3 hours should be ample time. I've always plugged mine in when I got home from work and leave it plugged in until I leave for work the next day. Never had an issue with it. Obviously costs more on the electric bill but I don't know if I'll need to use the truck in between those times so I just leave it plugged in usually. I had a cord rip on me last year though and I never plugged the truck in once. It always started for me, but it's nice getting heat in the cab sooner when plugging in.

taterthedog

Reaction score
I plug in when it gets to around -20C. Plug it in when I park it and unplug it when I use it again. Might stay plugged in for a week or more at a time. For batteries I'd put the largest CCA that will fit, usually replace in pairs. At the cabin, it doesn't get plugged in at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online