Blowby/catch can mystery

6.4f350

Reaction score
I'm having an issue with pushing a lot of oil out of the blow by vent. When driving around unloaded, it's worse than it should be but isn't terrible - it'll fill the 8 oz catch can in maybe 1 or 2 thousand miles. Once it's loaded though, it will fill the can and then start blowing oil all out behind the truck very quickly. I was pulling a car and a trailer this weekend through the mountains of PA and in the time it took to burn 1/4 tank of fuel, I had lost 3 quarts of oil out of the vent tube (And made a big mess of the back of my truck, my trailer, and the car). I don't have any other symptoms, no burning oil, no hard starts, fuel mileage is good, etc.

I built the engine in my truck last year, it currently has 7,000 miles since the rebuild. All rings were gapped to spec and the gaps were set 120* offset from each other. The blow by "test" at idle shows everything is good, it doesn't try to lift the cap from the can at all. I have a 1" hose running from the can to the catch can under the truck, and then 1" hose from the catch can exit venting to atmosphere under the bed. I also have the H&S single turbo kit, which was used when I got it and I was told it only had 50 miles on it.

I'm currently assuming that I have something going on with a cylinder and a compression ring isn't sealing as well as it should for whatever reason. I would think that I would see other signs if that were the case though, especially in the blow by at idle since the keystone rings should seal better as cylinder pressure increases. The only other thing that I can see being the culprit is an oil seal in the turbo allowing boost or exhaust pressure to pressurize the crankcase through the oil drain. I would think that I would see other symptoms if that were the case as well though, like filling the intercooler with oil or burning oil out of the exhaust. My current plan is to run a compression check and see if I can get my hands on an IDS, then go from there. Anyone have any other ideas or suggestions?

Here's the blowby at idle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwBhmQI0agg

Bigboytoys

Reaction score
If you getting that much fluid in the can, and you not having the engine oil level drop, that leaves 2 things, it's not oil or your building oil due to fuel in the crank case.

I don't ever see the oil seal on the turbo going out and pressurizing the crank case as there isn't enough oil feed volume to the turbo.

I would do a compression test.

I would get an oil sample kit and get it tested for diesel.

6.4f350

Reaction score
Definitely losing oil from the crankcase, I had to put a gallon back in it to get it back into the hash marks on the stick after I got back.

Bigboytoys

Reaction score
Ya that's bad....

Do a compression test and leak down and I'll bet that the rings didn't seat.

6.4f350

Reaction score
I'm going to try and run a leakdown on it when I get time, I have a feeling you're right. Gotta love these things.

6.4f350

Reaction score
From the time of rebuild, but it has gotten better since then. Before I had the catch can I had the stock CCV routing and dumped a quart of oil out of my intercooler at 500 miles, and all of that was unloaded driving just around town. It would probably take 1,000 or more in town miles to fill my 8 oz catch can now.

At some point I'm going to try putting my trailer (unloaded) on the truck and go run it hard for a little to maybe get lucky and seat the rings.

pwrstrk01

Reaction score
I would do an oil change with John Deere break in oil only and run it for 1500 miles and see what happens I got lucky with it once just my .02

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
how hard have you drove it and how many miles on it now since rebuild?

live life full throttle

god bless america and the farmer who feeds your fat ass

6.4f350

Reaction score
I would do an oil change with John Deere break in oil only and run it for 1500 miles and see what happens I got lucky with it once just my .02

I'll give that a try

how hard have you drove it and how many miles on it now since rebuild?

live life full throttle

Not hard enough apparently, 7,000 miles on it now

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I'll give that a try

Not hard enough apparently, 7,000 miles on it now
get some cheap sh!tty oil like rotella and change the oil. go out and do a brake stand or drive the piss outta it like wot runs. after 500 miles put in oil of choice. if that doesn't work then you prolly have a major ring or valve seat issue..

live life full throttle

Latest posts

Members online