Blown head gaskets with ARP's

mcdaniel1991

Reaction score
This is entire thread is ridiculous. Standard ARPs have been proven to hold 1000hp, and 50+psi... its all about doing it right. You guys with 190s, and vgt setups are crazy spending $1000+ on studs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Extreme studs are like $650....?

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Josh@DirtyDiesels

Reaction score
This is entire thread is ridiculous. Standard ARPs have been proven to hold 1000hp, and 50+psi... its all about doing it right. You guys with 190s, and vgt setups are crazy spending $1000+ on studs.

Well apparently that's not good enough... Because it should last foreverrrrrrrr LOL LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mcdaniel1991

Reaction score
yes but most of this thread is about extreme studs and that there a better option then standard ARPs.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

MorganY

Reaction score
Well apparently that's not good enough... Because it should last foreverrrrrrrr LOL LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ya It should. I've seen callbacks on tuned stock fuel/turbo trucks here...too many poor stud jobs going around lately.

I'm over here thinking people are tossing in custom age 625 studs on these trucks...lol sorry guys.

Twan

Reaction score

If they are so proven, why won't any shop put more than a 1 year 12k warrenty.

I can say other than I didn't deck the heads, the rest was done right.

If it wasn't so dang much work and money I would do it again with the heads being decked and all just to test it out.

That being said, mine was set to 235 ft lbs, leaked at 30 psi boost and higher, we went in and put them all to 250, now at 32 psi no trouble yet. I'm seeing less than 12 psi in cooling system at all times, before I would be 14psi driven into town, now I'm at 5 psi driven into town. That makes me think the stud is letting go.

swinky

Reaction score

A couple of dyno pulls doesn't count. Jesse warren was blowing gaskets non stop on his trucks until he went to 625s Matt a cutting edge was losing gaskets on the ranger every season as well.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

MorganY

Reaction score
425s will hold on a flat deck and head surface for a slightly modified truck. You haven't reached the yield point past the studs elastic modulus.

Now if there Is a stud out there with a higher yield point, for a little extra $, than why not?

ford rules

Reaction score
If they are so proven, why won't any shop put more than a 1 year 12k warrenty.

I can say other than I didn't deck the heads, the rest was done right.

If it wasn't so dang much work and money I would do it again with the heads being decked and all just to test it out.

That being said, mine was set to 235 ft lbs, leaked at 30 psi boost and higher, we went in and put them all to 250, now at 32 psi no trouble yet. I'm seeing less than 12 psi in cooling system at all times, before I would be 14psi driven into town, now I'm at 5 psi driven into town. That makes me think the stud is letting go.

You didnt deck the heads and you complain the gaskets leak?

Dirty_Stroke

Reaction score
Ya...I was mistakenly thinking all of you were referring to ARPs custom age 625 studs. $1570 vs. $550...that extra $1000 could pay for properly decked heads...

I was referring to custom age 625 studs. My heads were properly machined and decked and it held good for a while but now it's been around about 3 years since the stud job and it's puking even under 3/4 throttle.

Twan

Reaction score
You didnt deck the heads and you complain the gaskets leak?

I'm not sure it's the gaskets. If it was the gaskets why did it seal back up when I put them to 250.
Never complained. I've always said I ****ed up by not decking them. Lol.
I went to international specs. The tech even taped the block to make sure the holes were clean. They were a little worp to them.

swinky

Reaction score
I'm not sure it's the gaskets. If it was the gaskets why did it seal back up when I put them to 250.
Never complained. I've always said I ****ed up by not decking them. Lol.
I went to international specs. The tech even taped the block to make sure the holes were clean. They were a little worp to them.

My truck only builds pressure at 30 psi and over. Won't puke at all on the stock tune.

Twan

Reaction score
That's what mine did too.

I haven't loaded anything bigger than a tow file in it since I cranked the studs down.
I'm hoping it holds till next summer.

What are your studs at?

MorganY

Reaction score
My truck only builds pressure at 30 psi and over. Won't puke at all on the stock tune.

If your heads were decked, and your block was flat, and properly cleaned without a cookie wheel, you shouldn't have any problems puking with your setup. Period. 425s have been used for years with more boost, hotter temperatures, and higher horsepower for years without issues.

Twan

Reaction score
If your heads were decked, and your block was flat, and properly cleaned without a cookie wheel, you shouldn't have any problems puking with your setup. Period. 425s have been used for years with more boost, hotter temperatures, and higher horsepower for years without issues.

Any spacial way to deck the heads?
If I buy new heads should I still deck them?

swinky

Reaction score

I agree. But theres nothing I can do about it now. Took it to pse paid 5900 for all the work and it lasted 10 months. *** me right.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.