Brake/Hub Scraping Noise?!

Cfox17

Reaction score
Hey guys, so I have a weird scrubbing/scraping noise coming from, it sounds like anyways, the right front end on the passenger side. It sounds like metal is scrubbing or scraping against something. I thought it may have been something stuck in the rotor, dust protecter rubbing, etc. so I pressure washed it and the brake pad/rim was steaming hot from the water. Also, I looked where some said it could be a hub so I played with popping it in 4WD when I heard the noise, and it seemed to have little, if any effect, on the noise.

So I took it to the Ford dealership, they found a rock had lodge in the brake, removed it, and I thought problem was solved. They also said wheel did not have any play in it, brake pads, rotors were recently replaced new on all fours, etc. I was WRONG. It still makes that horrible sound and I have no idea what it could be? Any suggestions or things to look for?

Cfox17

Reaction score
Thank you! The only thing that concerns me is that my noise is more like metal on metal scraping and grinding, not a squeak or squeal. But I will definitely look at that.

I went by Ford again today, took a tech for a drive and let him hear the noise. He says it is coming from the rear end, could anything be making that noise? Parking break stuck, etc?

3brorce

Reaction score
I have to find an issue with mine too, right front was hotter then hot but not red hot. Stunk like burning metal and have a squeak now too. Got to be hub or brakes going to tear wheel off in a bit.

TheViking

Reaction score
I had a lot of failing caliper issues on my Super Duty in fact I have replaced all four. The super hot issue could be from one brake caliper doing all the work.

Cfox17

Reaction score
Got my truck back from Ford today, looks as if the new brakes I had put on last year had longer backing plates and they were rubbing against the rotor. They shaved them down and it seems to have fixed the problem. Luckily, they did not charge me since they did not fix it the first time.

Latest posts

Members online