Broken Leaf Spring

mad342

Reaction score
Hello everyone. New to the forum and my used 2012 F350 SRW CCSB. Bought my truck 3 weeks ago with 95k. Truck runs great and shifts smooth. Handling is good for a one ton truck. I put a ready lift SST 3.5/1 lift on it and 35" Nitto Terra grapplers on 20x10 Moto Metal wheels. Have Bilstein 5100s ordered. So far I am really happy with the truck.

My question/problem is has anyone encountered a broken leaf spring? It appears as though I have two? Trucks looks clean and the hitch does not look used much at all? Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Bluke

Reaction score
I've broke my leafs 3 times already in my work truck. To much weight in the back and hit a bit bump and they break.
F23526F4-F4A1-462D-8773-3FF05EEF3060_zpsc9ieowan.jpg

mad342

Reaction score
Judging by the rust, I think they were broken longer than 3 weeks. Can't believe I didn't notice when installing the blocks.

Just bought run of the mill 5100s to replace stock Ranchos that are long gone. I understand the benefit of the Fox shocks, but this trucks main duty is drive me back and forth to work and pulling my camper. Deavers would be nice, but I guarantee the dealer is paying for these.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bluke

Reaction score
Bare metal will rust pretty fast. I bet they broke after the block install. No way could you not notice that. Those look to be your main leafs. That's pretty scary. I wouldn't drive that.

mad342

Reaction score
How and why would they both randomly break after block install? I have driven nothing but street. Not loaded.

mad342

Reaction score
And with frame supported and axle hanging wouldn't spring kinda pull back together at the break point.

BKopp

Reaction score
How and why would they both randomly break after block install? I have driven nothing but street. Not loaded.

Possibly axle wrap?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mad342

Reaction score
Not since I have owned it. That's my point. I have driven like an old man and not hauled other then two kids bikes.

Truck is all stock and does not appear abused. I'm wondering if trashed shocks and empty bed and just constant uncontrolled bouncing just beat them to death ?

CATDiezel

Reaction score
Leaf Springs are a funny item. I've seen so many broke ones in my life I can't fathom how many are broke and un-noticed. Leaf Springs have a unique temper to them and when being made if things aren't just perfect they will break at some point. The truck could have been severly overloaded for a short trip and hit a harsh pothole. Many things it could be. My first instinct is a fluke deal or it was never right since inception. Other than that the spring would need a failure analysis to determine what type of break it is. Fatigue. Stress. Metal failure. My first thought would be stress but in conjunction with metal weakness as in bad bonding of molecules from a heat cycle when the leaf was formed inor it's mothers belly.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Catdiezel is right. My rear leafs were broke on my truck and i didnt even know. I was removing the lift one broke where the pin was and another was broke like yours are in both sides. Im gonna say the two identical breaks in mine were from not having traction bars. Axle wrap is gard in them. It probably wasnt an issue until i had over 500 rwhp.

Latest posts

Members online