Bts installed and Hydra review

lariat 7.3

Reaction score
Just got the tranny installed tonight with the new hydra with gearheads tuning :ford:. I was running DP before. IS it normal for this thing to feel slower with less boost? In my 80 econo setting i could easily hit 35 psi and she'd scoot, even with the fueling pulled back due to the lack of studs springs and a tranny. I know they are both two separate tuners and gearhead uses a more linear pedal. Normal?

INFRNL

Reaction score
It is possible depending on how he did your tunes but I wouldnt think it would be that much of a difference
Is it truly slower or just because the pedal is not as aggressive and gearhead uses a much smoother power curve? I did hear someone say that the gearhead tunes are not as strong as others, but I do not know the truth in that.

Last edited:

Rideracelivemx7

Reaction score
ive had DP tunes before gearhead, matt uses softer fueling as its a little easier on the motor. DP fueled way too heavy and would smoke like a train. Matts tuning uses the entire pedal vs DP 1/4 throttle felt like 3/4 so get used to smashing that thing on the floor vs small jabs.

bad12jr

Reaction score
Matts tunes are like a stock truck till you really get above half throttle. Then the power really comes on. The race is a little more aggressive down low. I usually always run the hot street tune. I like the shifts and it goes when I need it too.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

juniort444e

Reaction score
Like everyone has already stated, and I will say it again just because, Matt's tunes feel like stock, and that is a great things because you have more control, DP's fuels hard and now, hell I couldn't go down a bumpy back round with a hair touching the pedal or the truck would buck from the bumps and my leg barely moving. All in what you like really. Oh and once you get used to Matt's tunes you will realize that it is faster and more efficient, with less smoke.

INFRNL

Reaction score
Sounds like gearhead tunes are very similar to php tunes. Im glad to see people posting similar dp results to what I had. I also had excessive egts with dp tunes.

I think of php or gearheads style of tuning as similar to a 4 barrel carb. Tunes are nice, easy going so you can comfortably drive but the power is there when you need it.

ToMang07

Reaction score
Sounds like gearhead tunes are very similar to php tunes. Im glad to see people posting similar dp results to what I had. I also had excessive egts with dp tunes.

I think of php or gearheads style of tuning as similar to a 4 barrel carb. Tunes are nice, easy going so you can comfortably drive but the power is there when you need it.
:whs:
ive had DP tunes before gearhead, matt uses softer fueling as its a little easier on the motor. DP fueled way too heavy and would smoke like a train. Matts tuning uses the entire pedal vs DP 1/4 throttle felt like 3/4 so get used to smashing that thing on the floor vs small jabs.

:whs:

skylinedan

Reaction score
I can see a big drop in EGT's over the DP I had after switching to the Hydra, I'm running Bill's tune now and I,m pretty happy with them. I think his tuning is smooth, especially the at idle compared to DP, also much quieter. My injectors don't sound like their beating them selves to death :) !!

Latest posts

Members online